Talk

Advanced search

Job hunting anxiety

(4 Posts)
DamsonGin Wed 18-Apr-18 09:40:14

I've been volunteering and working in small part time jobs for the past eight years but am looking at returning to a professional role, but am gripped with anxiety that things are going to go wrong, I won't know what I'm doing and I'll let people down.

My mental health has had a battering from parenthood and I know I'm better out of the house, but can't picture myself in any kind of ideal work situation. DH had said he'll swap roles to pick up the bulk of childcare and could do some self employed work and is encouraging. I've just made contact with after few people and each time my phone goes I freeze as I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions or ideas?

OP’s posts: |
DamsonGin Wed 18-Apr-18 09:43:39

I also feel whenever I look over job pages 'can't do that, won't be good enough for that, that won't work out'. I'm conscious that I'm finding excuses not to apply for anything out of fear it'll go wrong.

OP’s posts: |
barney11 Wed 18-Apr-18 21:30:25

I'm contemplating a return to a professional career after a period of time as a stay at home mum (plus a voluntary role) and I feel very anxious about it too. So, firstly, I think it's completely normal to feel this way. Secondly, I would recommend trying out mindfulness. There are plenty of books, apps etc to help you. It can calm you and focus your mind. It might be a useful tool to call upon when you are about to make a phone call, attend an interview etc.

VaselineOnToast Thu 26-Apr-18 16:20:26

I can definitely empathise. I haven't been out of work long, but this is the first time I've had to try and find a job with the added responsibility of a child to fit it around.

Yesterday, I came across this website that I've found quite useful. It's helped to change my perspective a bit in terms of capability and confidence: wrpn.womenreturners.com/advice/ . Maybe it could be of some help for you too.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in