Talk

Advanced search

How to explain 10 month gap - advice please

(6 Posts)
Idontknowwhatithink Thu 12-Apr-18 14:56:12

I have a strong CV and 18 years experience in my field BUT I was made redundant last July whilst I was on maternity leave. Unfortunately within a couple of months my circumstances changed simnifically and I'v been a SAHM since but I really need to return to work both financially and because I'm starting to worry that I will struggle to get interviews with this 'gap' on my CV.

I don't know how to explain it.

I don't want to say SAHM because I think it puts potential employers off and also sends the message you have pre-school children.

Any advice much appreciated.

OP’s posts: |
Ickyockycocky Thu 12-Apr-18 15:01:28

You obviously can’t lie, so say you chose to be at home for a while with your children. Any employer put off by this wouldn’t be worth working for.

museumum Thu 12-Apr-18 15:06:03

How long has you been on mat leave before redundancy?
I think anything up to a year and a half you could just label as “maternity leave / redundancy” without it looking like you had given up your careering any way.
With any decent employer you shouldn’t have to hide the fact you have a child (if you do are they someone you’d want to work for?).

soupmaker Thu 12-Apr-18 15:12:44

I have a 10 month gap on my CV too. I took voluntary redundancy from a job I'd been in for over 10 years. Explained as career break to support my young family. Any employer who had a problem with someone taking time out to be at home with the kids isn't worth working for.

I had no problem getting job interviews. 2 out of 3 applications resulted in one.

MallorieArcher Thu 12-Apr-18 15:19:26

I had a 5 year gap for much the same reasons and just said 'i took a career break until my children were old enough to be in school and I wouldn't have to stress about childcare, I can now focus on my career 100%
On my CV it simply said 'career break due to childcare'

Never caused me a problem

Candyflosss Thu 12-Apr-18 18:39:20

I can't see 10 months being an issue, mine is 9 years and clearly stated in my CV. All my interviewers asked how old my children were - just prepare your answers, dont think most liked my honest answer, I've got 3 young kids.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in