Talk

Advanced search

Return to work sooner or not?

(8 Posts)
LilacPrincess Mon 09-Apr-18 08:50:45

Hi everyone, really need some advice on this as I’m stuck in a bit of a pickle.

My little one is almost 5 months old and I do not want to return to my current job ( I stop getting SMP beginning of July).

It’s a long story and wouldn’t like to say too much (never know who could be reading this haha) but they treated me so badly just before I went on maternity leave and effectively ruined the last few months of my pregnancy that I should have been enjoying.

None of my colleagues have really been in touch with me to ask how I am etc or congratulate me, I just think it’s a toxic environment and I’m desperate not to return.

Anyway I’ve been casually looking for jobs just to see what’s out there and have seen couple of jobs I’m interested in.

However, part of me thinks it’s silly to apply for jobs now when I am still getting paid until July BUT another part of me worries that I won’t find anything else and will end up going back to my current job ( cannot express how much I don’t want this). I’ve applied for so many jobs on/off throughout the years and often don’t even get an interview.

What are people’s views on this? ( with my first child I returned to work when he was 9 months old). I would particularly appreciate advice from anyone who has been through a similar situation or went back to work at an “earlier” time.

OP’s posts: |
LilacPrincess Mon 09-Apr-18 09:17:46

Just to add to my post my current job is part time and the new jobs I have seen are part time.

grasspigeons Mon 09-Apr-18 09:25:06

i'd try for a new job because recruitment processes are quite slow, and they'd expect you to give a bit of notice to your current employer anyway so it might only be one month earlier. As its part time, its not like you wont be seeing lots of your child anyway.

The only caveat to this is that your feel physically ok to work and are recovered.

LilacPrincess Mon 09-Apr-18 09:32:51

Thank you I appreciate the advice 😊. At the moment when applying for jobs I haven’t put that I’m on maternity leave (just because I did say that with my oldest child and found jobs didn’t get back to me) would that be considered sneaky? Xx

Momo27 Mon 09-Apr-18 10:11:10

It’s well over 20 years ago, but I went back to work 3 days a week when my dc1 was 12 weeks because that was all paid maternity leave was back then. It was hard work physically but she settled more quickly with her child minder than my later two children did. I was off work for longer with these ones. So from that point of view I would say you’ll be fine.

LilacPrincess Mon 09-Apr-18 11:27:43

I think I just feel guilty that I would have had longer off with my oldest child.

LilacPrincess Mon 09-Apr-18 16:52:15

Any other advice on this would be much appreciated.

Annab1983 Tue 10-Apr-18 14:42:49

I am in almost exactly the same situation as you OP and have already applied for a couple of full time jobs, my smp stops in July too but in my industry it’s fairly common to give more than one months notice so I figure even if I got something now I could eek it out until smp stops also.. depending on your industry you might have application forms, assessment centres before an interview and offer so it can take a while, if you really can’t return I would actively look now.. I also feel guilty as I had more time off with previous children but it can’t be helped.. although can you perhaps take some unpaid maternity leave to give you a little more time?
Ps I am not putting on the forms that I am on maternity leave, you are still employed and it doesn’t affect your new employer anyway.. I will probably mention it at interview as I wouldn’t want to mislead anyone and if you get the job they will find out anyway as you will no doubt mention your baby.. good luck!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in