Advanced search

I'm wanting to return part time

(8 Posts)
tmh88 Mon 26-Mar-18 16:55:36

Hi, I'm wanting to return to work but can not do 4 days anymore I'm wanting to return for 1 or 2 days or find a job that would accept that! Unfortunately the childcare I had organised has fallen through and I'm due back on may the 1st I had tried getting in touch with my boss twice this month (we are very good friends but became good friends when I started working for her) and she only replied today saying she would come to my house tomorrow! I'm nervous to ask her now and need some advice on how to go about it! Worried she won't be happy about it but I have no other choice, everyone keeps saying it's my choice and not to let her make me feel guilty but as nice as she is I feel like people are right about guilt tripping I have heard stories off of a lot of people how she's lovely to start with but then has another side and as much as I hate to admit it because I'm an adult and shouldn't take it, she really makes me feel intimidated I'm scared about having too tell her tomorrow and really don't think she will understand and since people have said that she has proved it, a family member worked with her also but left when I was on mat leave and my boss sent her quite a few nasty messages and then phoned her asking her to delete them and then later blocked her number, but I was trying to see it as I enjoy working there, it's nothing to do with me but I'm now also worried it's going to be awkward if I do return? but I need to do what's best for me and my baby and paying out the same in childcare as I earn doesn't appeal to me and mother in law can watch him 2 days a week! I just need some advice on how to tell her tomorrow! Thanks in advance! I know I'm a wuss 🙈

OP’s posts: |
Byebyebye Mon 26-Mar-18 17:17:46

Can your job be done over two days? You need to request a flexible working arrangement which can be declined for business reasons.

fruitcider Mon 26-Mar-18 17:19:27

You don't have to meet her at your house. Meet her at work and make it a formal process, following the flexible working policy your employer has.

RatherBeRiding Mon 26-Mar-18 17:22:58

Agree - you need to make a formal request for flexible working. What kind of working arrangement do you have - is this a properly regulated firm you work for, with HR?

You do actually have two months to sort out alternative childcare for the 2 days your MIL can't cover.

Best approach is to be honest. Say your childcare has fallen through but you are trying to make alternative arrangements but would also like to discuss the possibility of working two days instead of four.

tmh88 Mon 26-Mar-18 17:44:10

It's a very small business just me, her and 2 other people! I'm really very nervous especially if I ask to do it at work as she would come to my house frequently anyway, I suggested to go to her work tomorrow but she said the other 2 girls were there to cover and she would come to my house to see me I feel really anxious about it all 😩

OP’s posts: |
tmh88 Mon 26-Mar-18 17:49:59

One of the other main reasons I'm struggling is I work 7:30-6 and it's hard to find nurseries etc that open at that time, I found one but just didn't get a good feeling about it and felt like if I would send him there it would be for convenience only, he was going to be with family but all fallen through!

OP’s posts: |
unintentionalthreadkiller Mon 26-Mar-18 17:57:44

Could you do your job in one or two days? Would it even be worth it if paying for childcare?

tmh88 Tue 27-Mar-18 07:37:24

Yes I could easily do my job in two days she suggested that it was fine to come back on that before my mat leave but then when my family member left don't now know if she would be happy about it! It would be worth going to work for two days but not for 4 as the nursery I found charges an extra £4 for every 15 minutes they're open early and because I would have to drop him off at 7 and pick him up at 6:30 for him to go two days it would be and extra £32 a week on top of the £96 for 2 days I know it doesn't sound a lot but a month it's over £500!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in