Talk

Advanced search

How much does a nanny cost?

(11 Posts)
czeu Mon 26-Mar-18 14:27:34

Is £500 a week (net) for a full-time (8am-6pm) live-out nanny for one baby still the going rate?

I live in London if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
JoJoSM2 Mon 26-Mar-18 14:36:28

That sounds like a perfectly possible rate. However, it's better to agree her gross salary so you don't have to foot the bill for her student loan or pay higher tax if she's got income from elsewhere etc.

Oly5 Mon 26-Mar-18 14:53:42

Agree a gross wage
Also you need to factor in your employer insurance and the fact you need to pay a pension now by law

MuMuMuuuum Mon 26-Mar-18 14:57:34

We pay £12 per hour gross. Agree factor in insurance and pension cost. And a fund for emergency care should your nanny be sick.

MuMuMuuuum Mon 26-Mar-18 14:58:08

Sorry £12 net not gross.

czeu Mon 26-Mar-18 16:06:49

Ok thanks everyone!

I'm trying to see if it makes sense me going back to work. Nursery's in my area charge around £1800 a month so I think what's a few hundred more for 1:1 care!

czeu Mon 26-Mar-18 16:09:56

I'm just trying to do the sums in my head... a gross wage would be something like £32-35k a year. Does that sound right?

pigshavecurlytails Mon 26-Mar-18 16:12:46

That's £10 per hour net which is bottom of the rates for london. Assume you mean ten hours per day five days per week. You may find you keep losing nannies to jobs which pay more.

LastNightsMakeUp Mon 26-Mar-18 17:13:34

I have friends in London who share a nanny (live out) with an NCT friend a couple of roads over - together they pay around £40k gross. Sharing may be an option perhaps? I know it works for them as if they have late running meetings etc they'll then pay an extra hourly rate. The nanny kindly stocks their freezer with home cooked toddler meals and occasionally has dinner waiting for the parents when they get home from work (bliss!)

czeu Mon 26-Mar-18 20:46:03

I ended up looking at KiwiOz nannies and Abbeville Nannies. Both suggest £35k pa for live-out sole charge of 1 baby.

I could get back in to my profession on roughly £50k which after I pay tax and then pay a gross wage to the nanny it wouldn't make much sense. I know DH and my combined salary is quite a lot (as he makes way more than me) but for some reason I'd still think "all my money is going on childcare". Might as well be a SAHM

czeu Mon 26-Mar-18 20:46:49

But thank you @LastNightsMakeUp a nanny share might make more sense! Will look in to it

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in