Advanced search

starting self employment

(3 Posts)
anascrecca Tue 13-Mar-18 11:47:42

I've been a stay at home mum for 5 husband earns under 20k and we get tax credits. he has taken on my tax allowance. A small amount of self employed work has come up for me. I don't expect it to total much over the year.

What do I need to do? Do I need to register as self employed ? I'd like to know the rules before I start .

GinisLife Tue 13-Mar-18 15:19:31

Simple version is: You should register as self employed via HMRC website. You can earn £11850 before paying tax from 6/4/18 to 5/4/19. You'll only pay NIC if you earn over £8424. At this late point I'd wait until after 6/4 to register as self employed so you delay your tax return by 12 months.

anascrecca Tue 13-Mar-18 16:51:27

Thanks Gin.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: