Interview tomorrow please help

(11 Posts)
photographyaddict Sun 11-Mar-18 13:25:19

I have an interview tomorrow for what I could pretty much describe as my dream company to work for and I want to ace it. Thing is I get extremely anxious and overwhelmed with interviews, any tips on how to overcome this and show them I’m good for the job?

OP’s posts: |
BikeRunSki Sun 11-Mar-18 13:29:50

I was once advised that, if offered, always accept a glass of water. Then you can sip it to win an extra couple of seconds thinking time when you need it. That’s all I have i’m afraid. I have not had an interview for 8 years.
Good luck.

Justwanttoweeinpeace Sun 11-Mar-18 13:41:44

Water advice is really good.

Also, is there anyone you can call before the interview just to have a quick practice chat before you start the real thing?

I always find that the first few minutes are the worst and that if I go in at the start of the day it takes me some time to warm up. However if I've had a quick work type conversation before I go my head is in the right place and it's easier for me to talk about how great I am at what I do wink

Practice really does make perfect. Do you have an old or sympathetic colleague who could help?

Justwanttoweeinpeace Sun 11-Mar-18 13:43:44

Also, interviewing is a PITA. The interviewer wants you to be a great candidate, then they can go back to the fifty other things on the to do list safe in the knowledge they've got you on the way smile

flumpybear Sun 11-Mar-18 13:46:32

I'd suggest irdy soon a superhero pose in the toilets before you go in - meant tomhelp!

Above all answer questions, you won't believe how many people tell you want they want to tell you rather than answer the question - essentially it means you get less marks so best to just answer the question

Third a it's on to be nervous - everyone is ..... except sociopaths

NSEA Sun 11-Mar-18 13:52:08

Arive a little earlier so you’re not flustered. Deep breaths before going in.

If you don’t know how to answer a question it’s better to say that then try to blag it.

Take a copy of cv new job desc and questions printed out in front of you and a pen. Make sure you have a spare cv for interviewer too. Its ok to look at these to give you confidence. It’s not an exam.

Have 3 responses for strengths and weaknesses prepared. This has caught me iut several times. They are never satisfied with my one prepared weakness, I always get asked for 3!

MumsinBusiness Sun 11-Mar-18 21:09:44

Strengths & weaknesses is a good one.
Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Stupid question IMO but they often ask. Good luck.
You’ll smash it, (the interview, not the glass of water) 👍👍👍

KeepCalm Sun 11-Mar-18 21:19:59

Rescue remedy
Good luck !

RaindropsAndSparkles Sun 11-Mar-18 21:23:14

Enthuse about the company and how hreat it is and how much you would like the job.

domesticslattern Sun 11-Mar-18 21:27:29

Don't gabble. Slow down.
Make sure you think in advance what questions you want to ask them at the end. Something that shows you have researched the role and/or which shows your passion for the job.
Everyone talks about first impressions but last impressions really matter!
Good luck!

NSEA Mon 12-Mar-18 03:52:53

Tell them you like the company and want the job etc but don’t forget it’s not all about what you want, they need to see you’ll be great for the job and they need you.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in