Talk

Advanced search

When should I go back to work?

(9 Posts)
becki3 Wed 28-Feb-18 23:49:45

Hi!
I have been on maternity leave for a while now. I was quite ill towards the end of my pregnancy, so I ended up having to take my maternity leave earlier than I really wanted to...

My daughter is only 3 months old and I will have to go back quite soon. We are struggling for money, as I am only on statutory pay and it's not going very far!

I'm really worried about feeding, she is exclusively breastfed and doesn't take bottles.

So, I just wondered if anyone else had been in a similar position and how they tackled feeding, etc.?

Or, at what babies age did people go back to work?

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
Thelampshadelady Wed 28-Feb-18 23:58:30

Haven’t had baby yet but I run a small business so can’t take much time off. I’m hoping to get 12 weeks with baby possibly 10 if he/she is late.
I’m planning to breastfeed but will introduce a bottle when the time is right.
I can’t say I’m pleased about the prospect but I’m going into it with a positive mind.
I’m confident in my childcare which I think plays a big part.
I also try to remember that although many would say baby needs it’s mum, my mum returned to work at 3 months and we are just fine.
The money will also improve our quality of life day to day.

FanSpamTastic Thu 01-Mar-18 00:11:22

What kind of hours do you do? It is possible to continue breast feeding with pumping while at work and leaving expressed milk bottles to be given to baby while you work.

I went back when my baby was 9 months old. I fed in the morning and at bedtime or during the night. But I did not express.

Babies tend to settle easier into childcare if they start before 9 months.

There is no right or wrong answer. Whatever you choose can be made to work.

BackforGood Thu 01-Mar-18 00:15:00

When mine were little, everyone went back to work after 3 months. My dc (plus all their peers) not only survived but have grown into strapping young adults, with secure attachments, confidence and no lack of love for their parents.
Obviously they have no direct memories of being babies, but they have incredibly fond memories of their Childminders, from when they got to an age when they can remember bits and pieces. smile
Your little one will be fine.

becki3 Thu 01-Mar-18 00:28:32

@FanSpamTastic Thank you for the reply! I'll be working 16 hours a week, so should only be there for a maximum of 3 days a week! However, what worries me is that she hasn't taken expressed milk since she was about 4 weeks old, even from me.

becki3 Thu 01-Mar-18 00:31:48

@Thelampshadelady @BackforGood Thank you ladies, I'm glad that I'm not alone in this one! I'm trying to go into it with a positive mind, too. That's what both me and her need!

FanSpamTastic Thu 01-Mar-18 08:59:01

Babies often won't take bottles from their mums - they know the real thing is right there!

But they often settle into new routines with other people and will happily take a bottle when you are not around. Like they know there is no other choice!

Good luck with everything - it is hard leaving your little one to start with.

Babbitywabbit Sun 04-Mar-18 13:05:29

Same as BackforGood. Dd1 was 12 weeks when I returned to work,( normal back then) so I was bf morning and evening, and expressing between times. I got her used to taking a bottle as well as breast from a few weeks old as I knew I’d be returning. Having said that, by a few months old she preferred a sippy cup to a bottle so maybe try that?

In terms of settling, I would say my dd1 settled faster in childcare then my dc2 and 3, probably because I was able to take longer ML by then so they were older and separation anxiety starts to kick in. It’s actually most straightforward from the emotional point of view to leave a 3 month old - harder physically on you, because you are still bf and dealing with night feeds but emotionally easier.

becki3 Mon 05-Mar-18 18:06:49

@Babbitywabbit Thank you! I tried to get her onto a bottle quite quickly, she was taking a bottle well for the first month, or so. However, she seems to have regressed in this respect. I will try a different brand and see how I go!

Very true about leaving her at childcare, I'm expecting that to be quite difficult!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in