How long to settle 8 month old at nursery

(5 Posts)
Sakura03 Tue 27-Feb-18 09:01:53

I'm just about to secure a full time place for my son in a nursery and we obviously need to decide on a start date and some settling in sessions. I'm back at work on 6 August so was thinking to start ds 2nd July on a couple of sessions then some half days and then full time the week before I go back to work. Does this sound okay? I asked the nursery and they just said whatever suits us which I guess is lovely but was hoping for an example so I had an idea of what to do. Any comments would be appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
PersianCatLady Tue 27-Feb-18 10:14:48

Sounds fine to me.

Don't be surprised if you are more upset about leaving your son then he is about being left.

Goldenbug Tue 27-Feb-18 10:17:41

Sounds OK.

I think the ideal would be Mon, Wed, Fri mornings for 2 or 3 weeks. Too long between visits and the child has forgotten what goes on and will find it harder to settle. Mornings are usually better as children tend to be less sleepy, and won't be seeing Mums and Dads pick their children up before them at the end of the day.

Keep the routine the same. eg bag and coat put away, tell staff member any news, give to same staff member if possible, kiss good bye, leave. Continuity. They might not like you going, but at least they know what's happening.

If you could drop off after most of the other children (9:00?) it would help as well. The door opening often triggers new children hoping their parent will be coming through.

Some children are unsettled for a month, but some children (like one child at my nursery the other week) couldn't care less. They've got stuff to do and toys to chew.

BoredOnMatLeave Tue 27-Feb-18 10:24:46

I think that would be absolutely fine. My DD started at 7 months, we had a 1 hr session with me on the Wednesday, 2 hrs alone on the Thurs, 4 hours the Friday, 4 hours the following Wednesday then starter her full day on the Friday. She goes 1 full day a week. To be honest she cried when I dropped her off for about 10 months, but it was literally 30 seconds, she stopped before I even got out the door and they said she was happy as larry for the rest of the day and that was from day 1

Samcj02 Wed 28-Feb-18 17:37:17

I work in early years and all parents and children are different. Most nurseries are really good in regard to flexibility for settling in sessions. Do what's best for you and your baby x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in