Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

New work wardrobe needed; what are your favourite stores?

(8 Posts)
MushroomMushroom Sat 17-Feb-18 15:18:46

I've been offered a fabulous new job in London which is great. BUT....

I need to upgrade practically all of my work wardrobe!!!!!

The new job will required me to dress in a corporate manner and is in a very posh part of town but I want to stay stylish and feminine.

As I said, I need to upgrade most of my entire work wardrobe so, I can't afford to buy high end designer pieces but, high end high street would be great.

Does anyone have any recommendations for brands they love for workwear?

I already have the following on my list;

* L K Bennett
* Reiss
* The Fold

but any other recommendations would be really appreciated (online stores too....)

Thanks ladies!

Independentstateofeyebrows Sun 18-Feb-18 18:08:43

Hobbs is good for smart dresses/jackets. If you have the patience to filter out all the Northern soul trouser suits and frilly polyester blouses, you can still get some nice things from M&S - but they are very well hidden among the weird stuff.

DontDrinkDontSmoke Sun 18-Feb-18 18:10:19

eBay is your friend

Pagetta Mon 19-Feb-18 16:22:11

I buy good dresses from places like Warehouse and Closet and Oasis and team them with heels. Stylish without being frumpy - most can be worn with thicker tights in winter, or bare legs in summer. Tends to work out cheaper buying dresses than separates plus not many dresses need ironing!

Asos are great for bulk ordering brands and own label - real variety of prices too.

Zara are great for trendy pieces and have a huge range.

Gap are great for staple trousers and shirts.

M&S are great for staple shoes, but i'll be honest I spend all weekend in converse with the kids so i love the chance to put on a killer heel for work - I tend to splurge on a decent black pair from Kurt Geiger or Dune, then buy some funkier coloured shoes from new look or zara.

Congrats on the job!

bumbleandbumble Thu 22-Feb-18 17:14:14

COS

ButteredScone Thu 22-Feb-18 17:18:44

My work wardrobe is a mixture of:

Hobbs
Gap - plain t-shirts
Comptoir des Cotoniers
Paul Smith
Toast tops

itsmeyouknow Mon 26-Feb-18 12:27:19

Agree on Hobbs and lk bennet. M&S and COS too. Buy 3 smart dresses (at least one navy / black) and 2 other and just wear them like a uniform. Add 1 or 2 others when you're flush.
I've been down the route of cheaper alternatives and they don't stand up to multiple wears. A £160 dress from Hobbs is a terrifying thought particularly when you're on may leave and counting the pennies, but it will last you years when a £60 warehouse one will (usually) need to be in the bin after 3-4 months on a weekly wear basis.

Oly5 Mon 26-Feb-18 12:30:23

I agree that spending a bit more in places like Hobbs ends up cheaper in the long run as the stuff lasts

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: