Wwyd re work

(8 Posts)
Happygolucky009 Sat 17-Feb-18 07:03:36

I am in a low skilled low paid job which I love, its very flexible and has been great for providing a small income as my children grow up, sadly it offers no career progression. Its close to home = fab!

An opportunity had arisen to apply for a job more in keeping with what I did pre family, at 30 hrs its more hours than I would like and at least 30 mins drive from the school which is 15 mins from home. I would drive to school then drive back towards home and then drive another 15 mins to get to work, I may struggle to get parked as new workplace is in a central location with limited / no parking and I would be earning the same money. Currently I have £0 childcare costs but with more hours I woukd need to look for aftershool care/ breakfast clubs and obviously I would need to organise childcare for the school holidays.

Part of me considers that its a good opportunity to get my foot in the door and will update my c.v. positively but then I am looking at the extra cost, challenges with commute / parking/ not spending times with children during school holidays and so going round in circles ..... Wwyd

OP’s posts: |
StealthPolarBear Sat 17-Feb-18 07:05:22

How old are your children? Could you drop the car back home and cycle?

Happygolucky009 Sat 17-Feb-18 07:21:38

thank you for reply, o kids are now 7 and 9. Just looked at the exact travel its 20 mins in car much on dual carriageway, google maps estimates an hour to cycle confused

StealthPolarBear Sat 17-Feb-18 07:26:59

Right so not that close to finishing primary. Any chance you could leave your car near school and get public transport from there?
Do you want to do the job? Are you struggling financially?

Happygolucky009 Sat 17-Feb-18 07:39:25

So school is in a village location with good bus links but in the opposite direction to new workplace. I could drive towards new workplace and dump the car and take the bus. I would need to drive 15 mins dump the car and then the bus is saying 35 mins to workplace sad

Happygolucky009 Sat 17-Feb-18 07:42:52

No we are not struggling financially and I am concerned that new job would make me considerably worse off angry I would like to think that the new job is doable and I know many families have mums working 4 days pw, not sure if my worries about the practicalities of new role are justifiable

MaverickSnoopy Sat 17-Feb-18 07:47:21

Is this the first job you have seen that you like?

Your post reads like you're ready to progress your career but this job isn't the right fit to give you the life balance that you need or want.

Do you think more suitable jobs may come up or is this a one off?

Happygolucky009 Sat 17-Feb-18 13:56:25

Its the only job on the cards at the moment, had a couple of interviews in the past year but no offers and unless I want to commute into a main city / keep reduced hours there are not that many options sad

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in