Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Feeling frustrated!!!

(6 Posts)
Swtp Wed 14-Feb-18 23:24:02

I've been unemployed since early 2016 (received redundancy after mat and gardening leave). Single mom to toddler. I must have applied for at least 50 - 60 part time jobs over the last year. Either no reply or application unsuccessful. For some reason in the last 3 weeks I've had 5 interviews so thought luck was turning. Feedback from each interview was 'excellent interview however was just pipped to the post by someone with more experience' or something like that. Wondering if there anything I can do better.
Just feeling a bit annoyed and having a moan.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 15-Feb-18 07:05:40

I think it’s really tough out there. I’m coming from it at another angle-trying to get a job after being a sahm for many years. I’m applying for basic admin jobs, taken a volunteer admin job to get up to date skills, and have been looking in earnest for four months now and nothing apart from two interviews where I didn’t get offered the job.

It will obvs be mainly my age and recent work history, but it’s tougher in the job market than I’d have thought.

Good luck though, you’ll get there in the end.

chickenlegscarla Thu 15-Feb-18 19:16:35

What type of jobs are you applying for?

There are hardly any admin jobs these days and lots of applicants (a lot of whom have recent relevant experience). People are expected to do their own admin or if there is a dedicated person then they have to look after huge teams.

Nasreen Thu 15-Feb-18 20:27:35

In the same boat. No job since early 2017. Struggling to find stuff to apply for, let alone interviews right now. Oh well, onwards and upwards!

Swtp Fri 16-Feb-18 00:49:30

To be honest anything that has suitable hours day time hours as dc is at nursery. It is mostly admin jobs.

chickenlegscarla Fri 16-Feb-18 18:57:40

NHS?

Much more flexible and more part-time jobs than private sector. Less chance of having to work a full time job in part-time hours.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: