Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Back to an employer who fired me!

(8 Posts)
anxiousworld Tue 13-Feb-18 11:04:02

Multi-million pound business want to take me back after firing me for negativity that stemmed from my mental health.

They lied when I was fired and told me it was my work quality. I met with the owner last week to let him know that a company in the industry were trying to poach me to leak info out of me and that he needed to be made aware.

I asked for my job back, it took a lot of courage and I ended up feeling deflated after the meeting, he told me I needed to write him a compelling argument as to why I should be allowed back.

I didn’t sent it because all it would have said is “you need me.” 4 days later he called me asking if I was okay, because I hadn’t emailed. I said yeah I’ve changed my mind, I don’t think it would be the right move in this point of my career to return. He asked what my concerns were so I told him; and whereas last week he said I’d have to make it up to people he suddenly says don’t worry about them, they take orders from me, I’m just giving you a courtesy call to let you know I have applications coming in for the same role and wanted to know if you’d still like to return.

He told me this time to write an email addressing my concerns and how I’d tackle them and said he’d be worried members of my old team would be threatened and intimidated by my return.

The only reasons other people inside the business have for me returning is “because we need you.” And perhaps that’s not enough? It’s nice to feel wanted but how long would that last. Do I send the email or do I not? I feel so pressured.

FauxFox Tue 13-Feb-18 11:14:34

I wouldn't go back. He sounds flaky and it sounds like an unpleasant working environment that won't be supportive, fun or rewarding.

JenniferYellowHat1980 Wed 14-Feb-18 21:54:28

What about the new company?

Bettybettybettybetty Wed 14-Feb-18 21:57:03

🤔 there is absolutely no reason for you to go bsck. They discriminated against you. Why would you even entertain the idea - or tell them you were being poached unless as a way of getting a counter offer to go back to them with?

If it was a relationship, would you go back?

retirednow Wed 14-Feb-18 21:59:50

I wouldn't go back or speak to him or anyone else about their business.

Cheeseislife Wed 14-Feb-18 22:03:44

Why exactly would you give the heads up to them anyway if they were so awful to you? That smacks of trying to earn brownie points. Sounds like you need to regain some self respect about the whole situation, do you not deserve better?

laudanum Wed 14-Feb-18 22:27:17

I wouldn't go back.

The way they handled things when your mental health was in decline is a red flag. If the only reason they're asking to take you back is because a competitor is looking to employ you for industry secrets as it were, it seems like all they want to do, is safeguard against that, rather than hiring you as a person, or make amends about how they previously treated you.

The whole 'let me know because other people have applied' is a bullshit excuse. They will probably be bricking it. If you know things that will assist another company, your ex employer will know they're in the shit. Unless you signed a non disclosure agreement with your ex employer, the ball is entirely in your court.

I'd be using that to my advantage, to be honest.

Charismam Wed 14-Feb-18 22:29:20

I wouldn't. I think it'd do your self-esteem real harm.

In life, when I feel I'm compromising my integrity, I always dream I'm getting back with an old boyfriend. I think this is like that, if you see what I mean.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: