Talk

Advanced search

mumsnet work

Find the perfect family friendly job

Teaching Assistant qualification - what's the best one for me to study ?

(12 Posts)
Pocket1 Wed 07-Feb-18 14:50:24

I'm considering retraining as a teaching assistant and would appreciate any thoughts on the best course/qualification to study for.

I'm leaning towards the teaching assistant NCFE CACHE level 3 award in supporting teaching & learning in schools (RQF).

I'm looking to study online with either Stonebridge or ukopencollege not at an actual college.

Is this a worthwhile course/qualification? And is it still recognised if it's been done online rather than attend a college?

Many thanks in advance smile

LIZS Wed 07-Feb-18 14:53:02

Is it definitely fully accredited ? Usually you need appropriate work experience on which to base your assignments.

Paddington68 Wed 07-Feb-18 14:54:41

Where in the country are you?

Pocket1 Wed 07-Feb-18 15:07:07

Thanks for your speedy replies.

Google searching suggests it is fully recognised by schools. I do currently volunteer a couple of hours a week at a primary school so that may help - although work placement is not required to study this course.

I'm in Hertfordshire smile

Pocket1 Wed 07-Feb-18 20:01:52

Bump 😀

UnimaginativeNameChange1 Wed 07-Feb-18 20:03:02

You say 'retraining' - what have you done in the past?

AnnaK Fri 09-Feb-18 16:43:13

It might be worth checking whether there are jobs out there. I am a TA currently and many schools are letting us go as a money saving exercise...

Abracadabraapileofbollocks Fri 09-Feb-18 16:48:47

Don't do ukopencollege. I registered. I received study materials but no acknowledgment nor response from my contact with them. It took me over a year to get a partial refund.

ScarlettsMummyx Sat 10-Feb-18 23:03:01

I did a CACHE Level 3 certificate in supporting teaching and learning in schools. It was 6 months, one day a week school placement and one evening in college. It was really enjoyable and went really quick.
I work as a SEN TA atm. smile

JenniferYellowHat1980 Wed 14-Feb-18 21:56:43

TAs are considered expendable by schools. Be prepared for term time only contracts on the lowest banding. Your hours will fluctuate in line with the 'needs' of children you work with at short notice don't do it

FayJay Wed 14-Feb-18 22:05:23

Courses that give ‘awards’ rather than certificates or diplomas are generally to be avoided I think. Simply because they are theory based rather than based on actual practice in a school. This is a good guide

Be wary of embarking on any course without checking it will actually help you get a job? Are you really sure you want to be a TA? The pay is crap, the workload is increasingly heavy and there is very little job security. And that’s if you can get a job. Term time only jobs are very coveted and schools can be choosy. Every single TA in the school where I work has a degree as well as practice-based TA qualifications

FayJay Wed 14-Feb-18 22:06:31

Random ? In there sorry - on my phone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: