Talk

Advanced search

apprenticeship for adults anyone?

(11 Posts)
Tuttytoffee Mon 05-Feb-18 12:43:08

Just wondering if anyone has done an apprenticeship as an adult and was it worth it? I'm currently on mat leave from a low paid job and would love to try and have a career. I just don't know what yet. I haven't got many qualifications although I have worked since leaving school. Theses have always been cleaning or serving jobs. I really feel like I want to do something with myself but I'm struggling to find something I think I'll enjoy or be good at. I have seen a few apprenticeships available in my area and I'm wondering would it be worth my while getting some experience.

Autotelic Mon 05-Feb-18 20:39:04

Hi OP

I just thought I’d reply as I am also considering an apprenticeship at the moment.. I actually have a degree which I obtained years ago and haven’t been able to do anything with.. most of my experience comes from working in call centres

Anyway, I’m 33 and recently applied for a dental nurse apprenticeship in my area - and I have an interview next week! I’ve also sent my details to a local Training company (they “run” apprenticeships in my area) and they have invited me in for an Assessment next week also. smile

I’m not sure if your age, but i thought I would be too old to be considered for an apprenticeship. Turned out I was wrong. Go for it! Just apply and see what happens.. and good luck x

Tuttytoffee Mon 05-Feb-18 21:50:13

Hi Auto, thanks for the reply. I'm 29 myself, 30 soon. I'm just thinking after having read up, I doubt I would have the sufficient qualifications to even do an apprenticeship. I only have my GCSE's and they arent the best. I think if my memory serves me correct i have mainly Ds and that's due to course work and missing some exams. Most apprenticeships ask for A-C. Looks like I'll need to retake them.

I feel like my life is going nowhere and I've done nothing with it apart from raising my DC. I want to do something for me now. I think I'll need some advice from a careers advisor. I don't want to go back to my crappy job when my mat leave is over, I want a new challenge. Good luck with the interview!

TheNoseyProject Mon 05-Feb-18 21:52:45

The civil service takes business administration apprentices of any age.

Tuttytoffee Tue 06-Feb-18 12:11:28

Thank you, I shall have a look.

Gertrudethestag Wed 21-Mar-18 17:03:32

Op - how did you get on seeking an apprenticeship? I'm interested in doing it too.

Does it effect nursery funded hours?

Gertrudethestag Wed 21-Mar-18 17:05:19

(the apprenticeship I found says temp/contract. No idea if this effects nursery funding as it won't be a permanent role) confused

ssd Wed 21-Mar-18 17:16:21

this is so interesting I always thought apprenticeships were for ages 16-19 only

I wonder if scotland is the same?

Beautymum Wed 21-Mar-18 17:35:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

WeirdyMcBeardy Fri 06-Apr-18 23:46:21

I'm older than you OP and doing an apprenticeship. Great way of gaining a qualification with getting experience at the same time. It is a fixed term contract linked to the length of the course but I'm hoping I'm proving to be a good employee and that they will keep me on (they do like me and say I'm doing a good job so fingers crossed).

Mine asked for GCSEs A-D, especially in English and Maths. I'd still apply with Ds OP as my apprenticeship gets you to do functional skills if you don't have the grades. I only had to do IT functional skills because there was no IT GCSE when I was at school but I didn't have to do English and Maths. Many people do do them though and you get a certificate.

mousedahousecat Fri 06-Apr-18 23:49:44

You can do a modern apprenticeship at any age in Scotland, and you can still apply if you have other qualifications already @ssd Fife council are doing a scheme for early years officers to make up numbers for the 30 hours starting in 2020 and last years intake was mostly older people.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: