Talk

Advanced search

apprenticeship for adults anyone?

(5 Posts)
Tuttytoffee Mon 05-Feb-18 12:43:08

Just wondering if anyone has done an apprenticeship as an adult and was it worth it? I'm currently on mat leave from a low paid job and would love to try and have a career. I just don't know what yet. I haven't got many qualifications although I have worked since leaving school. Theses have always been cleaning or serving jobs. I really feel like I want to do something with myself but I'm struggling to find something I think I'll enjoy or be good at. I have seen a few apprenticeships available in my area and I'm wondering would it be worth my while getting some experience.

Autotelic Mon 05-Feb-18 20:39:04

Hi OP

I just thought I’d reply as I am also considering an apprenticeship at the moment.. I actually have a degree which I obtained years ago and haven’t been able to do anything with.. most of my experience comes from working in call centres

Anyway, I’m 33 and recently applied for a dental nurse apprenticeship in my area - and I have an interview next week! I’ve also sent my details to a local Training company (they “run” apprenticeships in my area) and they have invited me in for an Assessment next week also. smile

I’m not sure if your age, but i thought I would be too old to be considered for an apprenticeship. Turned out I was wrong. Go for it! Just apply and see what happens.. and good luck x

Tuttytoffee Mon 05-Feb-18 21:50:13

Hi Auto, thanks for the reply. I'm 29 myself, 30 soon. I'm just thinking after having read up, I doubt I would have the sufficient qualifications to even do an apprenticeship. I only have my GCSE's and they arent the best. I think if my memory serves me correct i have mainly Ds and that's due to course work and missing some exams. Most apprenticeships ask for A-C. Looks like I'll need to retake them.

I feel like my life is going nowhere and I've done nothing with it apart from raising my DC. I want to do something for me now. I think I'll need some advice from a careers advisor. I don't want to go back to my crappy job when my mat leave is over, I want a new challenge. Good luck with the interview!

TheNoseyProject Mon 05-Feb-18 21:52:45

The civil service takes business administration apprentices of any age.

Tuttytoffee Tue 06-Feb-18 12:11:28

Thank you, I shall have a look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now