Talk

Advanced search

Best day to take off for me and DS?

(13 Posts)
cakeandteajustforme Mon 05-Feb-18 11:18:19

Hi All

Have recently returned to work full time and would like to put in a request to work compressed days (37 hours across 4 days). I can do drop offs most days and DH pickup so will work from 9-7ish on my four days. He will be 18 months when I start this new routine (assuming t all gets approved).

I may sometimes travel in the UK and to the US for work, and DH regularly travels so having a day where no one has to rush around would be really nice.

What day of the week do you think would be best for DS (attending nursery four days a week either in a row or split up) and for me (most bank holidays on a Monday so is there a disadvantage to not working on bank holiday days etc?). We don't tend to go away for weekends so there's no particular benefit to having the three days in a row so I'm not wedded to Fridays either.

Thanks!

Wilma55 Mon 05-Feb-18 11:23:01

In my experience it is more likely to be approved if it's not a Monday or Friday.

SpoonfulOfJam Mon 05-Feb-18 11:26:47

I have a Wednesday and a Friday off.

I have surprised myself and really enjoy my Wednesday, probably more so than my Friday. I only have to batch cook and sort clothes for 2 days, then have chance to catch my breath midweek, do some laundry etc.

If I got up to 4 days, I'd be happy to keep the Wednesday.

PlateOfBiscuits Mon 05-Feb-18 11:27:16

Would Wednesday be quite nice? Work for two days, have a break, work for two more?

Woodfordhound Mon 05-Feb-18 11:29:19

Wilma, that’s often the case with working from home but I’m not sure it matters as much if the op isn’t expected to be working at all.
OP, I’d opt for Thursdays. You’ll find your DS is exhausted by the Wed and you too probably. So Thursday is a welcome break and then you’re both only looking at one more day each week and Friday is often a more relaxed day too.
Also on BH weekends, you could book the Friday off and effectively get away for 5days by only taking 1 day off! I’d definitely opt for Thursdays. smile

Callamia Mon 05-Feb-18 11:29:58

Do you have any friends working PT too? I used to like coordinating with them and having someone to play with.
I used to take Weds and Fri off, and that was lovely for us. I felt fine about working on Mondays - I quite like the ‘start the week’ feel.

tellitlikeitispls Mon 05-Feb-18 11:30:55

I have Wednesday off. I also have a half day Thursday (although my kids are at school now I've always done it this way since they were babies)

I find that its a bit of a breather for them half way through the week. We don't need extended weekends, but as they are in childcare before and after school on Mondays, Tuesdays and Fridays which means their days are long, its good for them to be able to chill more mid-week.

Screaminginsideme Mon 05-Feb-18 11:40:07

I work 20hrs a week and have Wednesday off- it’s my time and I love it makes the work week seem easier. Down side I get a bit stung on holiday/bank holidays. We get the bank holidays added to our AL and have to book them off. Mine get prorota’d but this mean if I want all the back holidays I end up using 2 if my actual holidays to get them.

suneetime Mon 05-Feb-18 11:48:56

I’ve worked all sorts of different hours since having DC. Currently I have Wednesdays off. Tbh I wouldn’t have chosen it but my employer wanted me in the office on Mondays and Fridays. Now I love my Wednesdays. It really breaks the week up nicely and gives me a half chance of keeping on top of the house and admin.

cakeandteajustforme Mon 05-Feb-18 13:14:29

Hi again and thanks for the ideas. So Wednesdays and Thursdays seem popular!!!

My mum had suggested Tuesdays as you'd get four day weekends on the bank holiday weekends, but I can see the logic of nursery being split into two chunks of two so doing a Wednesday, or doing his current three days and then a break on Thursday with an easy Friday.

I have the option to work from home when meetings/schedule allow so am now wondering if it looks better to have Wed off, office Thurs wfh Fri, rather than off Thurs wfh Fri which is two days 'out of office' in a row. That would have me leaning toward Wednesday... or maybe I'm overthinking it?

Drinaballerina Mon 05-Feb-18 13:18:22

I agree with trying to coordinate with friends. I've just switched my working days as all my friends worked the day I was off and I wanted to see them!

24balloons Mon 05-Feb-18 13:22:01

Monday definitely if you’re allowed. Reason being (in most M-F jobs) you will get additional holiday allowance for each bank holiday you should have been received holiday for. If you’re off on another day you will need to pay back the extra hours off for each Monday Bank holiday as you’ll be getting 2 hours more than you should (or whatever the extra hours/day are) probably not so bad in full time condensed hours but makes a big difference if only working 0.5 FTH

cakeandteajustforme Wed 16-May-18 17:01:54

Update for those who posted and also in case others are also pondering a move to flexi hours.

I put in and had approved a request for five days over four. Wednesdays off.

Pros: Break for DS in the middle of the week, no loss of annual leave (or pay or pension contribution) as its full time, and can add a Tuesday off after a bank hol to get five days off. Brill!

Cons: Only downside is not seeing him at both ends of the day on my working days.

Overall it feels like the right balance for now.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: