Talk

Advanced search

Audiology or SALT?

(5 Posts)
CurlyRover Mon 15-Jan-18 21:05:04

I'm looking into retraining opportunities. For the last couple of years I've worked in industry looking at how to make healthcare more affordable. I'd really like to get into more frontline, people facing healthcare.

In my local area there are two really good looking course - audiology or speech and language therapy. Does anyone work in either of the fields and could give me their experience? Also how would I word my personal statement on UCAS if I were to apply for both? Obviously I have reasons for both but they're both slightly different.

OP’s posts: |
Appuskidu Mon 15-Jan-18 21:09:28

I haven’t had anything to do with ucas for years but can’t you do two separate personal statements for the two different courses?

CurlyRover Mon 15-Jan-18 21:18:05

I don't think so. I'm sure when I applied for my first degree I sent off one personal statement to all 5 institutions. Wasn't so bad back then as I applied for the same subject with slight variations.

MaybeDoctor Tue 16-Jan-18 07:09:23

I was a teacher so used to work with SALT quite a bit. It seemed to me that they had a caseload and had to be out and about in the community all the time, working with other professionals and families. However, the work always seemed quite short-term and quite dependent on others doing the work with the child. I found that frustrating as a teacher, so I am sure they found that frustrating too.

Audiology - more of a diagnostic/clinical role?

CurlyRover Tue 16-Jan-18 09:24:25

That's really interesting Maybe. Out and about in the community sounds like it'd be really interesting but I get what you're saying about the frustrations of short term work.

Audiology from what I can gather from reading and my personal experience with audiologists is that it is very much a clinical / diagnostic role.

I was thinking with SALT maybe it would allow one to develop more relationships whereas Audiology could be anything from seeing a patient once (I saw a different audiologist each time) to seeing them a few times which doesn't give you a chance to form a relationship. But from what you've said it sounds like SALT doesn't allow you to that much either.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in