Advanced search

2 page CV?

(11 Posts)
longtallwalker Sat 13-Jan-18 11:25:40

Wasn't sure where to post this.
Advice please
On CVs. DD has sent me her CV to
Look at. It's for second year internships. She does loads of extra
Curricular, runs a Society, and has loads of past paid employment and work experience. Her CV is across 2 pages and I think, quite tight already. How important is a one page CV?
Help!

RavenLG Sat 13-Jan-18 11:30:39

I used to work in a placements office at a university. I have had first hand experience dealing with employers, and the advice we always gave was it needs to fit on an A4 paper (front and back). So 1 page, 2 sides. If it's longer, honestly you run the risk of employers not looking at it.

Look at blank spaces that could be utilised, is all the information on the CV pertinent to the type of positions she is applying for? Some students would struggle with filling the space but if she has lots of experience make sure it's tailored to the type of roles she is looking at. Could she change the font? Does she have a placement office or careers service at her university that she could contact for help?

peachypetite Sat 13-Jan-18 11:33:50

Definitely keep it to two pages max.

OoohSmooch Sat 13-Jan-18 11:36:59

From a recruitment/HR point of view two pages for a late teen/early 20s youngster is great (making an assumption here on your DDs age) as career progresses then a max of 3 pages is fine. A one page CV would look a little off.

longtallwalker Sat 13-Jan-18 15:33:57

Thank you. Fantastic advice.
I think I will tell her 2 pages,
One sheet.
Tbh the stuff on the first page is brilliant and relevant (IMO!) and the second is
Stuff she can't bear to get rid of. So
If they only read the first page, that's fine.. job done!

extinctspecies Sat 13-Jan-18 15:39:53

I have had a 30-year career with 2 University degrees, & several jobs and I can manage to fit my CV into 2 pages.

contortionist Sat 13-Jan-18 15:40:48

This can be a bit industry-dependent. I very rarely see CVs longer than one side of A4, even for candidates with lots of impressive experience.

EssentialHummus Sat 13-Jan-18 15:54:02

CV writer here. At her stage (and for quite a while yet) two pages max, and that's not in a font you need bifocals to read!

longtallwalker Sat 13-Jan-18 22:08:35

Wait. What? A CV writer?
Wow.
How does that work if you don't mind me asking? I'm going to let DD stick with what she's written (but keep it to 2 pages in its nice clean format)... but I'm curious.

EssentialHummus Sun 14-Jan-18 03:26:45

I trained as a solicitor, but after years of helping law students with their CVs, cover letters and interview prep I moved into this. I love it! I do however spend half my time talking 20 year olds out of four page CVs grin. More generally people (usually who’ve sent out loads of applications and got nowhere) pay me to review their CV for content, relevance, spelling, grammar etc, and I reformat it as needed.

longtallwalker Sun 14-Jan-18 17:37:57

I may be in touch with you in due course!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: