Talk

Advanced search

Looking into becoming a midwife

(3 Posts)
SarahH12 Fri 12-Jan-18 11:22:44

If you are one, what made you become one and how physically intensive is it?

When I was a teenager I really wanted to become a midwife. I think I was put off as I got it in my head that women wouldn't want someone so young caring for them at such a potentially wonderful / difficult / emotional time of their lives.

I need a career change. I've always wanted to be a midwife. BUT (big but here) I have a joint condition and I don't know if I'd be able to cope as I've heard it can be quite physical.

I'm 27 so feel a bit older and have more life experience so perhaps wouldn't be looked down on as much. I have an integrated masters degree in chemistry (2.1) and a further research masters also in chemistry and have worked in the pharmaceutical excipients industry since leaving. I have a biology AS level (D), and A Levels in maths, chemistry and physics (ABC).

Would I need to do some sort of access to healthcare/ nursing type course at college? How on earth do I go about getting any relevant experience?

OP’s posts: |
Xennialish Fri 12-Jan-18 11:27:26

You don’t need an access course with your qualifications, just some study in the last 3years (eg. I did a very short open university course, a friend did French a level). But it is pretty physical. Is it fatigue, range of movement, strength that you have a problem with?

I got an early morning and an evening job in the nhs for experience but we do have a steady stream of volunteers.

SarahH12 Fri 12-Jan-18 12:30:15

In terms of courses, I've done some first year BA modules in a totally random course that took my interest two years ago but I guess by the time I'd have applied etc they'd me irrelevant.

I currently have a desk job and find typing for long periods of time causes pain. I think according to my physio at the moment it's strength I have issues with.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in