Talk

Advanced search

Confused about maternity pay/SPL

(4 Posts)
catlady23 Mon 08-Jan-18 09:34:22

Hi all - a newbie here and really hope you can help!

We recently found out that I am pregnant (unplanned) and although happy are worried about money and work etc!

One thing we have been looking at is shared parental leave - I only get the 6 weeks at 90% then 140 pw... but it looks like maternity pay at my DP’s company gives 2 months full pay, 3 months half pay etc. It would therefore make sense for him to take the bulk of the time off if he is entitled to this, although I’d want to take some time off after the birth. Would he be entitled to this? And if so, can I take 6 weeks off at 90% of my salary and then he take time off? And if so, would he be able to essentially claim his company’s maternity pay??

We are so confused, and as it’s still early days, don’t want to talk to HR...

OP’s posts: |
nerdsville Mon 08-Jan-18 20:28:57

He needs to check his company's shared parental leave policy - it may not be identical to their maternity policy.

catlady23 Mon 08-Jan-18 23:12:39

Thank you!

Gosh this is complicated... I assumed his would be as he is NHS but from google it seems like it varies between trusts. How do people find out without telling everyone they are expecting?! If it is only statutory I have no idea how we will afford this baby confused

OP’s posts: |
Panda81 Tue 09-Jan-18 15:39:07

He should have access to his trust's policies, and it should give the policy for paternity leave and shared parental leave.

The entitled shared parental leave and pay though is just sharing the statutory maternity pay - so you can go back to work but your DP can claim the pay instead.

If the trust has anything enhanced in addition to this then it will be detailed in the maternity/paternity policy

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in