Advanced search

Trainee psychological wellbeing practitioner

(12 Posts)
Kittykat2027 Mon 01-Jan-18 17:50:57

This might sound like a very stupid question and if it is I do apologise but can u apply for the above position purely based on your own mental health condition I have 3 Educare certificates all level 2s which would help but I am not sure. If I stand a. Chance as I suffer anxiety and. Depression. Should I have tried? I feel I could do it but I just wondered what u a think. Thanks

OP’s posts: |
FarFrom Mon 01-Jan-18 17:55:18

I highly doubt it- sorry. Is it an iapt position. It’s okay to have personal experience but you need some professional experience too. I don’t know what educare is so not sure whether or not that’s relevant. Look at the person specification for the post it will have essential and desirable criteria and if you apply you will need to show how you meet the essential ones. Is it an nhs post?
If this is something you are interested in you can build up to it by getting some relevant experience.

flimp Mon 01-Jan-18 17:58:44

What qualifications does the job spec say?

Trailedanderror Mon 01-Jan-18 18:06:54

You can apply to do anything you want OP! There are no rules against it, the very worse that will happen is that someone will read through it and decide you're not eligible. It's not even a waste of your time as the very process of thinking about the skills required and your relevant experience puts you in a good position for further job search.
Whether or not you are qualified depends on the specific requirements, but a trainee post suggests it's possible.

BrownTurkey Mon 01-Jan-18 18:14:08

Some NHS trusts include lived experience of mental health conditions as desirable. Look closely at the job description and person specification and if you meet all the essential criteria, and like the look of it then go for it.

Kittykat2027 Mon 01-Jan-18 21:22:01

Thankyou for your replies. I have just rechecked the specs for the job they train you so no qualification needed. Experience of working with people with mental health conditions I did this at my last job in administration. Knowledge of medication for anxiety and depression I have full knowledge of this. There nothing really I couldn't see myself being able to do. They encourage all backgrounds to apply I'm presuming this includes having health issues of ur own. I feel if anything this would help me because I am helping others I wouldn't be lying when I say I can understand as it's true I can understand. I have lived with anxiety and depression for over 10 years. Yes it's through the NHS. I have dealt with them before in my previous post or some areas through them.
Thanks again

OP’s posts: |
Trailedanderror Tue 02-Jan-18 06:20:17

Yay! So it certainly sounds as if you're eligible.

BeerBaby Tue 02-Jan-18 06:45:29

It is not advisable to do this kind of work of you aren't fully mentally well. It can make you extremely unwell being exposed to trauma and severe mental illness if your not very very resilient.

Buscake Tue 02-Jan-18 06:53:05

@BeerBaby that is not true. My other half is a clin psych with a severe and chronic mental health condition. Like any other health condition he has support from occupational health and his managers for this. PWPs wouldn’t deal with severe mental trauma anyway. OP I say go for it, lived experience is an underrated factor. You will empathise much more strongly and have a deeper understanding of what people are going through.

htiopybh Tue 02-Jan-18 06:57:27

I was under the impression you need an undergrad degree to get on these training schemes? Perhaps not though.

I'm a clinical psychologist and I know that these trainee PWP posts used to be like gold dust for people who are trying to get onto the doctorate. Competition could be tough. It sounds as though you have some invaluable experience to share if you're in the right place yourself to take something like this on.

I hope it works out for you and good luck!

htiopybh Tue 02-Jan-18 07:00:14

@BeerBaby it's debatable about what "fully mentally well" is and if it's ever achievable for anyone. As pp @Buscake says - with the right support people who still struggle with MH issues are some of the best practitioners.

Kittykat2027 Tue 02-Jan-18 09:17:20

Thanks again for the replies, the do ask you to attend a one day a week course to gain the undergraduate degree. I have always said after losing my daughters that I could imagine myself in an office one day helping others. I am prepared to do what it takes for this role.
I am so grateful for all your replies and advice.. I agree competition will be tough.
I have been through cbt before and I know the process of the questions they ask.

I know my anxiety and depression is still there but I am hoping this will help me as well as any clients in the future. My practitioner may have had her degree but she had no idea how I was feeling really.

I have four children who are healthy I lost two to Hydrops, I know how it feels to be little yourself and feel your not good enough to do anything, I know how it feels to think your being watched (social services were one of the main reasons I have anxiety).
Please look at my post on depression and anxiety.

I am not saying this will be everyone's mental health reason but my last role was based on supporting people with mental health or long term conditions and helping them get out and about.

I do appreciate all the advice you have all given and thank you again. I am hoping this will be the beginning of me becoming someone I want to be just so I can help make a difference.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in