Talk

Advanced search

Train to become a Counsellor or Counselling Psychologist?

(11 Posts)
KnackeredOldWoman01 Tue 19-Dec-17 17:26:17

Hi

I’m currently studying for a certificate in counselling studies at my local college and it’s been really worthwhile. However I’m beginning to question if this is the right route for me because I’m concerned about finding employment once I have completed my training. The next course, level 4, is going to cost 5k if I carry on.

I’ve been reading up on clinical / counselling psychologist job roles and it sounds very interesting. It will require a lot of studying but perhaps more job opportunities once I have completed the studying.

Can anyone advise please?

OP’s posts: |
KnackeredOldWoman01 Tue 19-Dec-17 19:23:20

Bump

MiniTheMinx Wed 20-Dec-17 09:01:27

Could you take undergrad psychology or an MA in psychology? I think you are right. I know people with level 3 and 4 who are having to work other jobs and still volunteer to do counselling.

KnackeredOldWoman01 Wed 20-Dec-17 09:15:54

Thanks Mini, although I’m absolutely loving the counselling course it’s beginning to dawn on me that there may not be a paid job at the end of all the training. I’d feel gutted after all that time and money spent training to find im having to compete with loads of others for a volunteer role, never mind a paid job.

catspants Wed 20-Dec-17 09:31:42

Counselling Psychologist is a 'protected' title and in order to use it, you need to have studied psychology at undergraduate level or have had your initial degree converted so it confers to BPS guidelines for GBR. You then need to complete a professional doctorate in Counselling Psychology at the Universities who offer the course. As far as I'm aware, there are jobs available for those who qualify and you have flexibility in working in all environments, e.g. schools, NHS, cooperate organisations, etc. I'd say if you have the energy to go down the study route, do it. It's a wonderful field, so rewarding and will teach you so much about yourself and your personal relationships.

MiniTheMinx Wed 20-Dec-17 09:32:50

I think you might need to broaden your search and use the counselling training as route into similar jobs. As an example recently spotted a job for a Therapy assistant. 20k mon-fri, med secure hospital. The role offers further training in DBT. A lot of hours won't be tied up giving counselling but delivering skills based work shops, setting up skills training, paper work and one to one support with daily living skills. I think counselling qualifications will be welcomed in lots of roles where you won't necessarily be focused on providing counselling. It's a case of researching different roles within mental health where your experience and skills would fit.

Im in a similar position. Working with adolescents in a therapeutic setting where very little of my time is taken up in case work sessions. My plan is to do Pgdip psychotherapy, followed by MSc. I'm working with colleagues who have higher qualifications in counselling but they are doing the same job. Tis very hard.

KnackeredOldWoman01 Wed 20-Dec-17 10:56:33

Thank you Cats. Mini, please excuse me ignorance but what is a Pgdip qualification?

Also if you don’t mind me asking, what qualifications do you currently have?

Stumbleine Wed 20-Dec-17 11:18:49

Watching this, as I plan on doing a psychology conversion masters next year. I had considered counselling/psychotherapy but had similar concerns to you op.

I am hoping that even if I don’t have the staying power to go down the doctorate route, the masters will open the door to sidestep into related jobs...plus I do very much enjoy the academic/research side of things!

MiniTheMinx Wed 20-Dec-17 13:41:47

Pgdip is post graduate diploma. Most universities expect you to have completed this before you apply for MSc. I have a degree but in politics, philosophy, and ethics. Level 3 in motivational interviewing, and Im aiming to complete level 3 in counselling before I apply for Pgdip to start next year. Years of experience in working with adults and adolescents, drug/alcohol dependency. I'm also starting a course in DBT skills training in January. My current employer offers fantastic training opportunities and supports post grad studies. So I'm quite lucky. The downside is that although we work in a therapeutic setting much of our work could not be described as therapeutic! And the qualified therapists are barking mad grin

MiniTheMinx Wed 20-Dec-17 13:58:00

Like Stumbleine I enjoy academic work, so I just plan to study forever whilst working as much as I need to. Ive read a lot of Marx and read Freud as part of my degree. Im interested in lacan. I'm reading Rousseau again, I'm very much swayed by his theory of the Nobel savage. I'm not entirely convinced that psychoanalysis is a science, and I think Freuds two separate theories of mind weaken his position. I'm inclined to think that even Althusser explains psychology and social life as well as Freud. Even if one accepted Freud's theories wholesale, the unconscious life of humans, the symptoms of neurosis etc, and the way the ego is constructed I'd argue that the ideological apparatus of family and state is the starting point. Man can not exist (conceptually) outside of society. His unconscious doesn't exist outside of society either. And Rousseau's Nobel savage doesn't exist as anything other than the antithesis to man. So, even if I can't work as a psychotherapist I probably will use the qualifications to lead a service like the one I work for, and continue studying because for the jollies!

SamDunamis Tue 04-Feb-20 13:47:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in