Talk

Advanced search

When did you agree new part time hours after mat leave?

(4 Posts)
Daisy91 Mon 11-Dec-17 19:09:47

Hi everyone! I'm nearly 12 weeks pregnant with my first child and I want to be as organised as possible with the work situation and start planning. My question is, did you organise new working hours before you went on maternity leave or whilst you were on maternity leave? Also, how soon can you get the contract sorted and 'lock in' new hours?

I have a great employer, my line manager already knows about pregnancy but I'm just wondering when to have the chat about going part time. When the baby is here I'd like to drop down to 3 or maybe 3.5 days, which I don't think will have too big of an impact on business.

The thing is, I know a few people who want promotions and will be aiming to take over my role while I'm away - and they would be happy to work on a full time basis. What I don't want is to be told I can't do part time or have to move to another location (can they do that?)

I hope this makes some kind of sense smile

Any thoughts? X

OP’s posts: |
flutterby12 Mon 11-Dec-17 19:18:59

I reduced my hours but asked towards the end of my mat leave and they moved me to another clinic. Suited me to be honest but you'll have to see what's in your contract.

Daisy91 Mon 11-Dec-17 20:33:07

Thanks flutterby, going to look at contract tomorrow smile I just hate not having a plan.

OP’s posts: |
NewMum17 Sun 17-Dec-17 09:09:37

Hi,
I was in a similar situation that I knew I wanted to go part time but wasn't sure if I'd put my foot in it by telling them in advance, so I waited til after baby was born. That way I thought I could then speak of experience as a FTM and give more reason of wanting to do part time. I had the talk with my manager when my DS was about 4 months old. Hope you have made a decision. What you could always do is question potentially going part time and whether that would be possible? Or how likely it is that you would be able to do that staying in the location you are in.
Good luck and don't stress too much.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in