Accountancy Courses

(9 Posts)
learningtochange Mon 11-Dec-17 10:52:20

Have name changed for this in case I give away anything outing!

Can anyone recommend any online/distance learning accountancy courses and providers?

It has to be online/distance learning as I am a lone parent to a 12 year old son who is disabled and for various reasons home educated. I have no real support so cannot get to college.

I have previously worked in estate agency and as a childminder, and have a NVQ3 in massage therapy. I need a change for the future, and something that can provide for us, I want to take the next while to learn and become qualified so that when my son is finally/hopefully a bit more independent I can start my career.

I have looked into accounting and would this looks likes something I would enjoy and work hard at, and I would be able to provide with. There are lots of courses out there so I wondered if anyone could give me some pointers and any tips you have!

I am welcome to other career ideas you have as well, obviously right now I am constrained to being at home to study. Thank you in advance.

OP’s posts: |
learningtochange Tue 12-Dec-17 11:47:40

bumping in the hope anyone can help

molifly Tue 12-Dec-17 11:53:51

Look at the AAT courses - they are the best and most well known in the sector. Distance learning is done by Home Learning College/Kaplan.

I wouldn't bother with anything other than AAT if i'm honest. I used to recruit for Finance positions and that's all anybody looks for.

Good Luck!

Itis6oclocksomewhere Tue 12-Dec-17 11:57:07

I'm currently studying AAT Level 2 with Eagle Education distance learning.
Finding it interesting and can take it at my own pace.
Good luck!

learningtochange Tue 12-Dec-17 13:42:30

Thank you both! That's really helpful. I'll have a look at those now.

QueenLaBeefah Tue 12-Dec-17 13:44:10

I would highly recommend AAT.

dimsum123 Fri 15-Dec-17 08:59:01

I'm doing AAT level 3. I have no experience of working in accountancy. But there are other students on my course who work in accounts depts and firms and they all say that what we are learning on the AAT bears no resemblance at all to what they do, day to day, at work.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

From what I can tell, it's much more important to be confident and familiar with using various accounting packages such as Xero and Sage than do a qualification in accounts.

Unless you want to go on to become a chartered accountant, then you do need a formal qualification.

dimsum123 Fri 15-Dec-17 09:01:00

There are online courses in using Xero and Sage, I would suggest you have a look at those as well as the AAT.

2littleterrors Mon 01-Jan-18 23:18:05

Hi I work in the accounts field. I would say AAT is the best course you can do.
It will give you a good grounding of the basics of accounting. As you get to level 3 you will also learn a lot about financial accounting and management accounting.
If you pass that and want to go further with the ACCA or CIMA qualification , you will get exemptions from the first 3 exams.
I have recruited staff and I would say if there was choice between someone who had a Finance and Accountancy degree and some one who had the AAT qualification, I would probably recruit the one who had the AAT qualification purely because they will have a good understanding of the basics of accounting.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in