Talk

Advanced search

Partner works late and weekends

(3 Posts)
Summer85 Sat 09-Dec-17 14:09:12

I have an 18 month son and work full time during the week, I dread the weekends however, as my husband works Saturdays and some Sundays and most of the time I am stuck with my son alone whilst most of the time my mom friends are spending their weekends with their families. I feel so lonely and exhausted after working all week, I also am doing all the cooking and bed time routine as my husband gets back most evenings after 7pm. I am tired of arguing with him about it, he is defensive when I tell him how I feel and makes me feel unsupportive as he is growing his own business. I want to have more time with him as a family and more support but I am not sure how realistic that is or an outcome that could work for us both, so far there doesn't seem like there's much flexibility and I am starting to feel resentful, lonely and isolated. Any advise? sad

OP’s posts: |
BackforGood Sat 09-Dec-17 14:55:41

I think it is understandable you feel that way, but it is part and parcel of what comes with your dh growing his own business. He probably hates missing out too, but if that is when he is able to do the work, then that is how life is.
One thing I would challenge is this notion that "everyone else is spending time with their families", as I think that is quite unusual when you both work FT and have small children. I think you'll find the reality is most parents of young dc are chasing their own tails.

Babyroobs Sat 09-Dec-17 21:43:43

We've spent 16 odd years doing this as it has been the only way to avoid childcare costs ( 4 kids). I have always worked weekends/ evenings/ nights around my dh's 9-5 job. So I'd look after 4 kids all week then he'd have them on his own all or part of the weekend. I think it's just what a lot of couples do to get by. Does your dh have to do weekends, I mean is that when the business needs doing, or is he choosing to put extra hours in at the weekends?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in