Advanced search

Grasp the next rung of the career ladder

Find jobs that fit your skills and your home life with Mumsnet jobs

See all jobs »

Getting off tax credits

(4 Posts)
Hcross92 Tue 05-Dec-17 21:46:26

Hi, 1st time posting here. I am currently (recently and unhappily) unemployed. I’m a single parent to a 4 year old who is in 1st year of school. I have a degree so not worried about finding work as such. But my problem lies here - my partner and I would like to live in together. Currently working or not I rely on tax credits. However if we move in together his wage will mean no more benefits. Which I totally agree with. But obviously I can’t expect him to take on the majority of the bills - I’d like to pay my half. But realistically childcare wise I can only go part time! So I suppose my question really is - is it possible to earn enough to come off tax credits comfortably whilst still working part time to fit in with school? Sorry for the long post

feral Tue 05-Dec-17 22:06:31

Surely the answer to this depends on what your partner earns?

I work part time but tax credits have never been a factor as DH earns too much.

Your combined wage and one dc could mean your don't qualify. Have you done an online calc with his wages?

Babyroobs Sat 09-Dec-17 15:02:13

If you are recently unemployed have you looked into whether you can claim contributions based job seekers allowance. His earnings should have no effect on this and whilst it isn't a lot it is enough to make a contribution towards bills until you find new employment.
If your partner is moving in then could you look for weekend/ nightime/ evening work so that you don't have childcare bills to pay? Does your child's biological dad have your child at weekends, could you work then ?

donajimena Sat 09-Dec-17 15:05:22

If he's moving in with you as a family you should really pool resources. If you can only work part time then that would mean him taking on a higher share of things.
Why rush to live together?

mumsnet jobs

Jobs you might like

View all jobs »

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now