Talk

Advanced search

Getting off tax credits

(4 Posts)
Hcross92 Tue 05-Dec-17 21:46:26

Hi, 1st time posting here. I am currently (recently and unhappily) unemployed. I’m a single parent to a 4 year old who is in 1st year of school. I have a degree so not worried about finding work as such. But my problem lies here - my partner and I would like to live in together. Currently working or not I rely on tax credits. However if we move in together his wage will mean no more benefits. Which I totally agree with. But obviously I can’t expect him to take on the majority of the bills - I’d like to pay my half. But realistically childcare wise I can only go part time! So I suppose my question really is - is it possible to earn enough to come off tax credits comfortably whilst still working part time to fit in with school? Sorry for the long post

feral Tue 05-Dec-17 22:06:31

Surely the answer to this depends on what your partner earns?

I work part time but tax credits have never been a factor as DH earns too much.

Your combined wage and one dc could mean your don't qualify. Have you done an online calc with his wages?

Babyroobs Sat 09-Dec-17 15:02:13

If you are recently unemployed have you looked into whether you can claim contributions based job seekers allowance. His earnings should have no effect on this and whilst it isn't a lot it is enough to make a contribution towards bills until you find new employment.
If your partner is moving in then could you look for weekend/ nightime/ evening work so that you don't have childcare bills to pay? Does your child's biological dad have your child at weekends, could you work then ?

donajimena Sat 09-Dec-17 15:05:22

If he's moving in with you as a family you should really pool resources. If you can only work part time then that would mean him taking on a higher share of things.
Why rush to live together?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: