Handing in notice - how honest should you be?

(7 Posts)
BumNugget Mon 27-Nov-17 13:34:22

I'm planning on handing in my notice next week when I am back from holiday. The time away has given me lots of space to think. My employer has been royally shit over the past few months and that is the sole reason for my leaving. DH is certain I would win a tribunal for constructive dismissal, but I don't have the energy for it.

I have read online that you should keep the notice letter brief and just state that you're leaving, what you expect your last day of work to be, and then thank your employer for the time you have spent there. This is what I intend to do, as I don't want anything negative in writing in case I want a reference.

However, I do want to tell them honestly (in a professional manner obviously) why they have been shit. Is it worth saying all this verbally in my exit interview? Or do people not actually do that? I can't decide what to do sad

OP’s posts: |
Squirrels765 Mon 27-Nov-17 13:39:43

It's so tempting to say what you think but I wouldn't
Just stick to the facts, how much notice you are giving, your expected last day, and a quick thanks
As you say, you will probably need a reference, and you don't want your last weeks at work to be awkward
Just be smug in your own mind that you are getting out of there, just keep it simple and polite
I wouldn't even bring it up at the exit interview, it's not worth it, and it won't make any difference as you are leaving anyway, if they declined a reference it could cost you your new job.

Believeitornot Mon 27-Nov-17 13:40:34

Yes keep it brief and yes bring it up at exit interview.

wednesdayswench Mon 27-Nov-17 13:45:02

Keep notice letter brief, factual and professional. Be honest about all the problems you've experienced in your exit interview.

ShotsFired Mon 27-Nov-17 13:58:53

Only once in my career have I ever been honest - and that was in a written exit interview that I asked to provide, in a company that was the most toxic environment I have ever been in.

And even then, "honest" was an ice-cold, 100% emotionless restating of facts, purely to get them on record with an HR department who were desperately trying to sweep stuff under the carpet. I also knew I was never going to work in that industry again and that references were sorted.

I would never do it in a resignation letter; nor if it had any chance of impacting me later in life.

purits Mon 27-Nov-17 14:02:39

However, I do want to tell them honestly (in a professional manner obviously) why they have been shit.

Why?confused In what way would that be beneficial to you, other than a fleeting feeling of yah-boo.

BumNugget Mon 27-Nov-17 18:13:20

Thanks for the replies, that's a great help.

@purits - it isn't just about whether it's beneficial to me, although I think it could be cathartic! There's a (probably slim) chance they may take criticism on board which could benefit my coworkers.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in