Talk

Advanced search

What killer question would you ask at end of interview?

(17 Posts)
jewel1968 Sat 25-Nov-17 14:20:38

You know the bit where they say thank you and any questions? I was to blow them away at that point. All ideas welcome.... Pretty serious leadership role....

OP’s posts: |
MiracleCure Sat 25-Nov-17 14:21:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jewel1968 Sat 25-Nov-17 15:57:45

It is an internal post. I usually ask them what they see as the challenges and opportunities ahead. But was looking for something better

HundredMilesAnHour Sat 25-Nov-17 16:12:46

To be honest, if you haven't blown them away throughout the interview, asking a killer question at the end won't be enough to change their minds. It's more powerful to be impressive from the start and throughout than asking one or two rehearsed questions at the end. I can't stand rehearsed questions when I'm interviewing people, they're so tedious. Either ask something on the fly that relates to something they've shared during the interview that you're genuinely interested in. Or there is nothing wrong with saying "thanks but actually I think you've covered all my questions for the moment and I'm not going to ask you something just for the sake of asking something". If this is a leadership role, show them you have the confidence and self-belief to lead rather than trotting out interview cliches.

That's always been my approach anyway and it hasn't let me down yet. But I'm probably a tough interviewer. smile. I don't like rehearsed answers, I want the truth so my interviewing style is not entirely conventional. wink

kerbyourenthusiasm Sat 25-Nov-17 16:15:26

I have been asked “what’s a good day in XY office” which I thought was a great q to get insight into the company

HolyShmoly Sat 25-Nov-17 16:21:30

What do they most like working there? What are their biggest challenges (now or in the next 3 years) What does their ideal candidate look like?

Most of those are best for organisations you're new to though.

MiracleCure Sat 25-Nov-17 16:27:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sat 25-Nov-17 16:30:25

I asked whether there was scope for me to expand the project I'm working on now into their area - it showed an interest in improving collaboration and also showcased the project I was involved with.

BenLui Sat 25-Nov-17 16:34:09

If the interviewers have asked “where do you see yourself in five years?” I ask “where do you see the company/department in five years”

If they say “why should be hire you?” I say “why should I accept?”

Makes them think!

jewel1968 Sat 25-Nov-17 18:40:16

Thanks guys. Funny enough I do a lot of interviewing myself but tend to adopt a conversational tone cos I too want the truth. So see your point about rehearsed questions. When I am being interviewed I try to turn it more conversational as I perform better. I do like 'why should I accept' that is ballsy 😊 Not sure it would work here though.

DontbeaDickaboutit Sat 25-Nov-17 18:42:45

Do you have any concerns about my ability to do the role?

crisscrosscranky Sat 25-Nov-17 18:45:29

I work in HR and I bloody hate these questions- especially the "why'd you work here"- I'm not likely to say "because they pay me more money than anyone else would for working a 9-5 relatively close to home".

I wouldn't ask a question if you really don't need to. Just take opportunity to succinctly tell them why you think you're the best candidate.

Rainbowandraindrops67 Sat 25-Nov-17 18:50:01

What would your ideal candidate for this role be like?

AlternativeTentacle Sat 25-Nov-17 18:53:44

I always ask 3.

First 'what are you looking for in the person to do this job?' then when they say x, y and z - if we haven't covered x, y or z then I go into how I also do x, y or z and how.

then I ask 'is there anything else you want to know about me?' and this gives them an opportunity to go off piste and ask further questions that might be niggling at them which I then answer and show how I can indeed take over x for them as I have done that before and turned y into z.

The I say 'This sounds like an excellent opportunity, what are the next steps' so that I know what is potentially happening next.

I was taught these three by an expert recruiter and they have served me well. I have shared them loads of times with all sorts of people and they have also been successful with them.

jewel1968 Sat 25-Nov-17 20:18:00

Interesting. Different points of view....

2017RedBlue Sun 26-Nov-17 10:25:27

When you consider the role yourself - are there any questions you genuinely do have? I'd find an appropriate way to ask those?

I'd also ask...

Why the position has come up? Where has the person from this role gone? What position have they moved to?
What sort or role could this position lead to in the future?

If it's of any relevance I might ask how technology and AI might affect this role and industry in general and what the company is doing to stay ahead of trends in that area.

I don't think I'd ever ask "should I accept the role?"!!

Laserbird16 Tue 28-Nov-17 13:41:32

I sometimes ask the person who will manage me, to tell me a bit about their management style and how They like to work. Depending on how self aware they are you can get a bit of a heads up of what you're in for

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in