Talk

Advanced search

Are any self study courses useful while out of work?

(5 Posts)
FritzDonovan Wed 22-Nov-17 23:25:12

Worked in education full-time, then part time with dc for decades. Became too time consuming/logistically difficult with a dh who works away a lot, so I'm a sahp atm. I'm def getting itchy feet and feeling the need to work and earn some money. Its v unlikely I'll go back to my original career when the dc are finally independent enough partly because I've had many years out and don't have the same interest/energy!
I've not found anything to fit into school times yet, but thought it might be a good use of my time to do some kind of self study (online?) course which would be potentially useful for getting into another job. Obv not too specific, I'm not limiting myself to one specific area of employment.
Any ideas, or am i being deluded about it? I think I'd take anything office based (esp school based), or maybe retail, but obv I'd be starting at the bottom, I expect.

OP’s posts: |
hevonbu Thu 23-Nov-17 18:26:39

Check out "Coursera" or "EdX" both online sites for MOOC courses (massive online open course).

FritzDonovan Fri 24-Nov-17 01:39:04

Thanks hevonbu!

Battleax Fri 24-Nov-17 02:08:43

Sorry, this is going to completely ignore your parameters, but have you thought about writing educational materials for charities, museums etc?

There are relevant distance learning courses in copywriting and similar.

FritzDonovan Fri 24-Nov-17 03:11:34

Thx battleax.
I used to do voluntary work in a couple of different educational establishments (at different times), but ive not seen much opportunity for that type of work really. The stuff i did see wanted ppl with quite a high knowledge of the specific subject, which ruled me out. But i will take another look now you've reminded me smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in