Talk

Advanced search

Part Time route into social care?

(8 Posts)
pemberleypearl Wed 22-Nov-17 21:05:39

I'm currently on mat leave from my admin job, my DD is 5 months. I feel that now (while my child is little and before she starts school) is the time to change career. Well, my current job is just a job I took to pay the bills (though I do it well).

I have a degree, but in history and English not social care. Is it realistic to hope to train part time in social care (including doing a degree) so I could train and take care of my little one? Anyone else done this?

pemberleypearl Fri 24-Nov-17 20:28:23

Bump

Anyone?

retirednow Fri 24-Nov-17 20:57:52

what do you mean by social care? do you know what job you would like to do, there are lots of care related courses you can do part time. Let me know and I will try and point you in the right direction.

TeaBelle Fri 24-Nov-17 21:01:15

Social care is very broad - do you mean social work or caring more?

pemberleypearl Fri 24-Nov-17 21:12:13

Sorry for being so unclear!

I was thinking of training to become a social worker, but I don't know yet whether I might be better suited to vulnerable adults or children/families. Do you do both? I don't know anything really but have a strong desire to find out more.

TeaBelle Fri 24-Nov-17 21:22:49

Social work is a generic degree at the current time however the government is also exploring apprenticeships and other schemes like thing ahead or step up to social work which are more focussed towards adults/children /mental health.

I would definitely recommend getting some hands on experience as it can be quite different to perceptions. It can be difficult to get experience with the local authority due to the need for checks and confidentiality, but other areas such as children 's centres, day centres etc are much better set up for volunteers. Also contact your nearest uni / open university to get an idea of the routes they offer

retirednow Fri 24-Nov-17 21:38:32

There is a part time Social Worker MA course, what area in the country are you

pemberleypearl Sat 25-Nov-17 12:05:20

I'm in Hertfordshire.

I've looked at some of the graduate entry schemes but they were focussed on particular areas and I'm not sure where I'd be a good fit. I guess I'll look into where I could volunteer around me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now