Talk

Advanced search

Hand notice in or ask for mat leave extension?

(6 Posts)
ninnynono Wed 22-Nov-17 13:07:20

I am due to go back to work in April after 8 months of maternity leave. I have already decided that I will ask for an extension of leave until September but now my husband and I are discussing the real possibility of me staying at home with the dc for a couple of years.

I really love looking after my dc and being more available at home so it makes sense. Financially, there is no need for me to work. However, I am conscious that dc2 is currently only 3 months old and by next September, I may feel differently about working! I do like my current job and there are quite a lot of advantages - even though I know I won't work there forever (and I do not plan on continuing in my line of work forever either).

I am due to meet with my boss next week as it's the end of my official maternity leave (before unpaid leave starts). I am torn as whether I should just hand my notice in or extend my unpaid leave. My gut feeling is that I won't go back next summer, but you never know, it could be good to keep the door open. But I don't want to mess my company around by asking to extend the leave and then handing in my notice anyway. They are already going to be disappointed I am not going back in April.

Wwyd?

OP’s posts: |
LIZS Wed 22-Nov-17 13:15:31

If April is only after 8 months ml you don't need to be meeting anyone yet or making decisions. You should receive some payment for 39 weeks and are entitled to 12 months leave, plus accrued leave. Does your employer offer a career break scheme?

ninnynono Wed 22-Nov-17 13:17:39

Sorry, I should have said, I am not in the UK. Only 14 weeks mat leave, anything else is unpaid leave.

Lules Wed 22-Nov-17 13:18:39

3 months is tiny still. You may well feel differently at 12 months. I really wouldn’t make any long term decisions until you have to. Your employer will cope. This is too important a decision for you to make based on what’s easiest for them.

ninnynono Wed 22-Nov-17 13:43:50

Yes you are probably right. DH thinks as we are both almost sure of me staying at home for a few years, there is no need to keep the door open for the next year. As I said, I also don't want to give false hope to my employer but it is good to keep options open.

ninnynono Wed 22-Nov-17 19:26:15

Any other opinions? Thanks smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in