Talk

Advanced search

Working as a speech therapist

(5 Posts)
Muir23 Fri 17-Nov-17 11:12:01

Hi,

Are there any speech therapists out there? I am currently on maternity leave with my second child (4 months) and also have older dc (4 years). I currently work in marketing and have a degree (2:1) in modern languages (which involved quite a bit of linguistics).

I have always been interested in working in the field of speech therapy, but for many reasons life hasn't gone that way. I'm aware that I would need to undertake a 2 year masters course to become qualified, and wanted to ask about experiences of doing this course (as I hear it's very full on) while having two young children, and then subsequently working in the field.

I am 34, have a very supportive dh (although he works full-time) and my mum is fairly close by. My older child will be at primary school from next September and my younger will be going to nursery. We are based in the SE.

Thanks in advance

OP’s posts: |
LipstickHandbagCoffee Sat 18-Nov-17 19:41:51

I’m not SLT,but it’s a great career.have you looked at the courses near you
The funding has changed. its loans now and It can be fierce to get a place
Thing is to understand the clinical application of being SLT eg head injury,cva,paeds
Demonstrate the personal abilities to work with clients (and their families) sensitively
Understand the range of conditions SLT work with eg dysphagia

Think about your interpersonal skills, working in challenging situations how do you evidence this?
Think about service Needs,budgetary issues, global NHS issues

Work experience this can be an issue to arrange for myriad issues. Often it’s suggested approach voluntary sector. But most of all understand what SLT do

On a practical level,plan for placement, factor in travel to and from
Think about and plan finances eg fees,books ,uniform, other course
costs

Job prospects are excellent, National shortage SLT

Muir23 Sun 19-Nov-17 14:21:40

Thank you so much for your reply, and sorry for not thanking you sooner. Really appreciate your input. I'm going to look into open days for unis that run this course!

OP’s posts: |
LipstickHandbagCoffee Sun 19-Nov-17 14:24:54

Good luck Muir hope this works out

zippydoodaar Tue 21-Nov-17 19:56:54

I have a friend who is an SLT having retrained via a masters. She is quite academic and found it hard going. She also lacked decent mentoring support on the course.

Do you have any work experience? I think that would be the best starting point. I thought I was interested in going in that direction but it's not what you assume it is.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in