Talk

Advanced search

Getting back to work - lost all confidence

(7 Posts)
Ukmum1 Thu 09-Nov-17 07:53:35

I stopped work 5 years ago to be a stay at home mum, I’m looking to get back into work but my confidence has hit an all time low. I feel my brain has went to mush. I really want to get back into work, little one at school and I don’t speak to anyone all day until my hubby gets home. Just moved to a new area too and finding it hard to settle in.

Iizzyb Thu 09-Nov-17 08:14:09

Hi op I have absolutely no practical help to offer but couldn’t pass without saying good luck, you will have lots of skills you can offer flowers

2017RedBlue Thu 09-Nov-17 16:55:19

I have a course to help with this - won't be running until January.

But there are so many in the same boat - don't worry OP you are certainly not alone.

Your brain has not turned to mush. You are totally capable still. It's only because you haven't done it for so long.

Good luck with getting back. You can certainly do it if you want to. Just need big dollops of self-belief and it will happen.

My first suggestion would be to do something different. Join a gym, join a class, visit a different town or even go to a new coffee shop. Sign up for a free course online. But just do something different - every day.

Open up your social circle and thought circle. Read some books on confidence. Just get out of your comfort zone.

And think about volunteering.

Helpmeltb Thu 09-Nov-17 17:01:56

Could you do a relevant course at a local college/online learning to give you some confidence and recent study on your cv?

I did a degree with the OU which was great but I appreciate that's an expensive/heavy workload option.

Tbh I found I quickly settled back in and confidence soon returned. Go easy on yourself and remember than you probably picked up skills as a sahm.

Ukmum1 Thu 16-Nov-17 11:38:54

Thank you all. I’ve took the courage to apply for a job. If I can’t get anything I am going to look into doing a course at college and doing something different (done administration for past 18 years). I’ve lived in an expat community overseas for last few years and moved to an area where the locals have lived here all their lives so it’s been tough to fit in, I’m sure it will get easier.

mrsvilliers2 Thu 16-Nov-17 17:07:04

UKMum1 sending you loads of flowers I also moved from somewhere where I had a great frendship circle and community into a tight knit community where people have lived all their lives. Definitely second what pp said about doing something different everyday. Also make sure to talk to anyone and everyone in your path. Even just passing the time of day with someone can help everything feel a bit less bleak. Sending virtual hugs.

nataliedesty Fri 17-Nov-17 13:30:08

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now