Talk

Advanced search

27, disabled and just realised my Life purpose

(16 Posts)
Agnes38 Wed 08-Nov-17 08:25:31

I'm 27, been out of work for 6 years due to a disability.

I'm fed up of being this way, I do nothing with my life. I have 2 dog's (family take for walks) one is chronically sick (bronchitis), I look after him all the time, he requires a lot of care... That's the first issues. Second issue is I'm physically disabled, I suffer with degenerative disc disease which equals Chronic pain everyday and limited mobility, I can't sit for too long nor stand for too long either 😞.

Thing is I'm ageing, I'm becoming depressed that I don't have a career, friend's, social life or life purpose.

But I want to make a start to change all that, if I could find the right employer that understands I'd love to give it a shot πŸ˜ƒ.

I believe my life mission is to help nature/earth and animals. I'm extremely passionate about these three thing's.

Question is where the hell do I begin? What am I even looking for? I need to make this happen but I just need a nudge in the right direction. I'm open to volunteer work to begin to see how my pain levels are.

Any advice would be absolutely appreciated. Sorry to drip feed by the way.

Justbookedasummmerholiday Wed 08-Nov-17 08:30:50

I used to foster for a charity. Hard work bottle feeding kittens, up in the night etc but worth it when they go to their new homes .

Agnes38 Wed 08-Nov-17 08:56:38

Justbookedasummmerholiday wow what a rewarding job! My little dog was abused when she was younger so now she's a nervous aggressive dog, she doesn't get on well with other animals unfortunately. Well done to you though! I admire you πŸ˜ƒ

Agnes38 Wed 08-Nov-17 08:57:06

Other dogs even* unsure about cats πŸ€”

FacelikeaBagofHammers Wed 08-Nov-17 09:04:23

I think fostering would be good, but you really probably need to get out of the house and meet people. Do you drive? Does your town have a job centre that might have an idea of volunteer opportunities?

How about contacting all of the local animal rescues and ask about volunteering at their reception desk for a couple of hours a day - and go from there? I know there are often charities for the elderly who would ask that you visit someone on a weekly basis for company and a chat, and maybe to help them with shopping etc. That might be a nice place to start too.

I know you feel like you're aging, but 27 is so young, don't write yourself off yet smile Start small and build from there.

RafikiIsTheBest Wed 08-Nov-17 09:04:27

If you can afford it, I'd suggest some adult learning. Depending on what available, anything from a few online low-level courses to a full degree. But also volunteering is a great idea, maybe RSPB or any other local charities. Most are happy for more volunteers. They could recommend courses or training too, once you're settled and know how well you can cope.

2017RedBlue Wed 08-Nov-17 09:43:45

do-it.org/ have a look here

good luck

x

EdithWeston Wed 08-Nov-17 09:51:55

Volunteering to see how much WOH you can do reasonably reliably, sounds like an excellent starting point. Even if it's not a close match to your preferred vocation, it'll give you the experience and self-knowledge that will let you move onwards.

I want to suggest that in parallel you look at your IT skills, because if pain/exhaustion issues are likely to continue, then looking for work you could do from home would be worth exploring. So things like being a social media manager for a good cause could be something to think about, and if you have to go to an office (and meet people) sometimes, all the better.

iwantavuvezela Wed 08-Nov-17 09:56:45

How about looking at a free online course

[https://www.futurelearn.com/courses]

They offer free online courses, if you look under categories you will see their is a category for nature and environment. They are all with good universities, will tell you how long the course is for, and how much 'work' is expected. That might give you some confidence to apply for jobs in that field.

Deedee0208 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:25:40

Hi, I have degenerative disc disease and fibromyalgia so know were your coming from, I take morphine daily and have been having epidural steroid injections, had cervical spine operation, discs took out discs and cage put in and fused, have you been offered surgery or pain relief, if not under pain management ask your dr to referee you, it’s so difficult being in so much pain so really admire you trying to work, wishing you well x

Nousernameforme Wed 08-Nov-17 10:35:22

How about volunteering as a cat cuddler at a local shelter you go in and play with the cats. Just as a start to get you out and about see how you cope with regularly being somewhere

Nousernameforme Wed 08-Nov-17 10:35:24

How about volunteering as a cat cuddler at a local shelter you go in and play with the cats. Just as a start to get you out and about see how you cope with regularly being somewhere

fannyfelcher Wed 08-Nov-17 10:47:39

Hi op, I am in a similar position. I am 37 and am bipolar and have several auto immune diseases that mean working is very difficult. I cant get my knees replaced until I am 45 . But it is never impossible to achieve your goals. I studied to become a TA, did a degree in Humanities and now doing my MA in Creative writing. I do work in a local school and work 9-12 and then 1-3 on a Friday teaching creative writing to Y5-6 kids. I love it and it gives me purpose that means the pain (while still there) takes a back seat for a few hours. The discomfort is massively outweighed by the self confidence boost and seeing that I can actually contribute even if its only a tiny amount.

If you love animals then I would strongly suggest getting into education. You could do a Bsc with a focus on animal biology, habitats etc either with a traditional uni or the OU. The OU are brilliant for people with health issues, I gained my BA through them and it was super being able to fit studies around my illnesses, stay in my PJs when I was having bad days etc. Studying with the OU does not affect your benefits either as you get student loans for fees, but not the living part. You can even do an access course in preparation if you need it. And Disabled Students Allowance will really help to make sure that you have the right equipment such as an ergonomic chair, adjustable height desk etc.

Honestly, studying has changed my life. I am hoping to do my Phd next year. Ten years ago I felt exactly like you do, life was passing me by and all my friends were getting careers and progressing. Now I have passed most of them in terms of education, have a wide circle of friends and can hold my own in conversations instead of just listening to people with envy while I have been sat at home twiddling my thumbs waiting for my pain killers to be due. I may never work more than a few hours a week but at least I can say I have done my best and grown as a person grin

fannyfelcher Wed 08-Nov-17 10:50:08

Just found a list to the OU and their first years modules. The Environments one looks good as does the Questions in Science

www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/details/qd-w34-t09-stage-1-key-intro?orig=qd&setAcc=true

user128057 Wed 08-Nov-17 10:54:25

I'm not sure if they are available in your area but try contacting shaw trust. They help disabled people find employment. I can't recommend them enough. Good luck

FauxFox Wed 08-Nov-17 10:56:30

Look up local animal/conservation charities and see if you can do some social media/online fundraising type things for them? Voluntary with a view to it becoming a paid role in future?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now