Talk

Advanced search

Handing in notice after maternity leave

(21 Posts)
thebloodycatwontstopmeowing Thu 02-Nov-17 17:41:16

Hi,

Sorry if this isn’t the right place.

I’m due to return to work after one year’s maternity leave on the 2nd January, however I’ve decided to quit and stay at home with my little boy. My contract states that I need to give one month’s notice (under normal circumstances, as in not on maternity leave), so am I right in thinking I just hand my notice in around the 2nd of December? I’m assuming being on maternity leave doesn’t effect the amount of notice you give.

I’ve only received SMP as I wasn’t there long enough to qualify for anything more so I won’t owe them anything. They will owe me annual leave from 1st April- 1st Janueary though which I’ll assume they’ll have to pay me.

Thanks!

thebloodycatwontstopmeowing Thu 02-Nov-17 22:31:31

Anyone? confused

fairgroundsnack Thu 02-Nov-17 22:32:42

That sounds right to me!

NapQueen Thu 02-Nov-17 22:33:50

What does your Maternity Policy say anout changing your return to work date? Mine says I have to give 8 weeks notice if I plan on returning (or not) on any date which is not 1yr after mat leave began. This over rode their notice policy.

You will.be paid any owed annual leave.

thebloodycatwontstopmeowing Thu 02-Nov-17 22:42:05

Well I’m not really changing anything. When I filled out the maternity form, I just confirmed I was talking a year until the 2nd of Jan.

NapQueen Thu 02-Nov-17 22:44:27

But you are changing it. You said you were planning to return 2nd jan. As i understand from your op you wish to not return at all which is a change.

So its probably best to read your maternity policy and see if it has a different length. Or speak to hr at your work.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Thu 02-Nov-17 22:46:49

So they're expecting you back in early January? Mine said 8 weeks notice to change of return as well.
Is there any reason you can't just give your notice how?

Not sure if this is correct, but could you technically start back in January, so go back on normal payroll, but use your annual leave until it's gone? That would be a simple way to sort it. Your official leaving date would be the last day of annual leave.

thebloodycatwontstopmeowing Thu 02-Nov-17 22:48:17

I suppose I am then although I made it clean that that would be the date I would return “if” I wanted to return but I hadn’t decided what I was doing (I think they knew it was unlikely I would). There’s nothing explaining this in my contact. I work for the NHS so have also looked online.

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Thu 02-Nov-17 22:52:37

I'd repost in employment issues and ask specifically about NHS contracts re maternity leave

thebloodycatwontstopmeowing Thu 02-Nov-17 22:58:51

Thanks you xx

thebloodycatwontstopmeowing Thu 02-Nov-17 22:59:16

Thank you* rather!!

SheRaaarghPrincessOfPower Thu 02-Nov-17 23:00:01

smile

EasterRobin Fri 03-Nov-17 06:06:28

You are referring to minimum notice periods so there's no reason to wait until Dec if you're already sure you don't want to go back. More notice is better from an employer's perspective as it gives them a chance to hire a replacement.

If you are sure, just write up your notice today and email it over to your manager and HR contact. Personally I would call HR first to let them know it was coming and talk through any questions you have.

headintheproverbial Fri 03-Nov-17 10:45:40

Yes that's right. The fact you're on maternity leave doesn't negate the notice requirements in the contract.

In fact, depending on how well you get on with them you could give them more notice to give them half a chance to fill the position (only do this if you're sure they wouldn't counter serve notice to get you off the books faster).

thebloodycatwontstopmeowing Fri 03-Nov-17 15:55:06

Thanks everyone.

Whilst on mat leave I’m obviously accumulating around 2 days of annual leave per month, if I hand it in now (a month early) surely I’d lose 2 days of paid leave?

Hoping to just give the minimum notice period possible as they have been awful dealing with my maternity leave and pregnancy time so no interest in doing them any favours!!

ChristmasLists Fri 03-Nov-17 15:57:35

No you won’t you just hand in your resignation with a leaving date of 2nd Jan.

I would give them as much notice as possible though. Doesn’t matter how difficult they’ve been, what goes around comes around and all that. You may want a job at some point in the future.

Oly5 Fri 03-Nov-17 15:59:09

It will be in your maternity policy. Mine says I have to give eight weeks of notice regarding my intentions

JoJoSM2 Fri 03-Nov-17 16:02:33

And when does your holiday year run? Are you allowed to roll any days over?

thebloodycatwontstopmeowing Fri 03-Nov-17 16:08:38

What goes around come around? But if I give them what’s in my contract I’m doing nothing wrong am I? I just want to give them the minimum, whether that’s one month or more.

I’ve asked them to emailed me the policy.

Holiday runs from 1st of April -31st of March. I’ve been off since 1st of Jan for one year. Not you can’t roll them over.

April241 Fri 03-Nov-17 16:20:31

If you google NHS(*YourArea*) maternity policy it should come up.

I had a year off work, also NHS and got a job in a different area so didnt return to my original place. I emailed my boss and HR the day I got my confirmed start date which gave them 6 weeks notice.

You can hand in notice now and state you're giving them 8 weeks, you'll still accrue holidays because you're still employed until the end date on your notice.

Also, in the last 5 weeks of my mat leave I switched from mat leave to annual leave in ordee to use up 5 weeks before I started the new place, I wouldn't have been able to use them up beforehand. I gave 6 days notice after discussion with my boss and HR, they said it's at managers discretion re: changes as our policy is 28 days notice. Once my boss agreed I wrote my notice, scanned and emailed it to work/HR and as of the following Monday I was on annual leave then started my new job.

OnionShite Sat 04-Nov-17 22:43:57

Being on ML doesn't mean the notice provisions in your contract change. If it says a month, it's a month. I've given notice while on ML myself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now