Talk

Advanced search

Ex Drama teacher looking for a new future

(19 Posts)
Wwoman30 Thu 02-Nov-17 09:55:05

Please help! Does anyone have any insights/bright ideas/ magic spells for changing career at 44?!

I have been a Drama Teacher for 20 years and left in the summer. The job has changed and for about 2 years I’d been a ball of anger and resentment ready to move on.

I don’t consider myself to be skill less - far from it- but apparently the world of Work outside school does! I can talk confidently in front of groups, manage people, plan and organise and am empathetic and creative- why does NO ONE want my skills??
Any thoughts, directions, ideas or job offers (!) massively appreciated
😊xx

Nasreen Thu 02-Nov-17 14:23:57

I will be following this thread with interest! I left teaching years ago and have really struggled to build a decent career back up ( not helped by not really knowing what I have wanted to do!!)

As a teacher you will have loads of transferable skills..
How about something in the civil service? Training for companies? Play therapist? Counselling? Mentoring? Your skills will be appreciated somewhere.. 😀

JenniferYellowHat1980 Sun 05-Nov-17 20:16:53

Nope. It’s so difficult trying to break into a new career after teaching. I think you have two realistic options, the first being to perhaps get involved in extra-curricular drama (I looked up Stagecoach fees yesterday and was astonished) or to retrain and beg someone to give you voluntary experience. I left with the intention of qualifying as a health professional but as changes to the bursary in Wales has put that out of the question I’m trapped for the time being in a low paid role. I know what I’d like to do to combine my two skill sets but convincing anyone to let me volunteer is a stumbling block!

Ancienchateau Sun 05-Nov-17 20:22:50

How about executive/careers coaching or as pp said, start or join a Stagecoach or similar franchise.

2017RedBlue Mon 06-Nov-17 09:59:36

Could you work in some sort of training where you have to present to children?

Do you have any social media experience?

This is the sort of thing you could go for if you did.

www.digitalawarenessuk.com/jobs

If not, could you look at presenting/training type jobs that would use your ability to stand up in front of a crowd and do it with confidence.

There must be a role out there that you could do.

Public speaking courses for kids. could you start a company up? I'd love my kids to be able to start learning this early on - but in the UK we don't do it. Unlike in America....

It sounds also like you might be a good project manager. Could you look into project management assistant roles. That's planning and managing people.

tissuesosoft Mon 06-Nov-17 10:01:47

I'm leaving teaching next month to join the civil service. Have a look on their website- lots of different roles!

Nasreen Mon 06-Nov-17 14:47:07

tissuesosoft, do you mind sharing which civil service department you are joining? How did you find the competency part of the application form? What was the interview like?

tissuesosoft Mon 06-Nov-17 15:17:12

I'm joining as a Work Coach. I found the competency part quite straightforward- use the STAR method to focus thto answer. I had the interview in July and am only starting in December so a very long process! Th interview was great, they were lovely and only ask questions based on the competencies so I practiced the ones I put in the application and had an extra planned out in case my mind went blank

Nasreen Tue 07-Nov-17 15:37:20

Great news tissues
I failed the judgement test this morning. The role was also for a work coach. Can scrap that idea I think.

missymousey Tue 07-Nov-17 20:55:20

When she left teaching, a friend of mine got work with the botanic gardens leading sessions for children on school visits. National parks, historic sites, museums etc all have these type of roles if you are still happy to work with kids outside of a school context. Lots of these type of organisations also have community-education roles too, so it might not be with kids. I was looking at a forestry commission one the other day - a kind of outreach thing to get people interested in enjoying and protecting local woodland.

NeverTwerkNaked Tue 07-Nov-17 20:57:12

Drama after school clubs/ weekend clubs/ preschool drama? My 3 year old daughter goes to drama classes on a Saturday and loves them! Either through a franchise or set up your own?
Or do you want a total change of direction?

Tastesjustlikecherrycola85 Tue 07-Nov-17 20:57:33

Left teaching in March, starting in the probation service in the new year

Tastesjustlikecherrycola85 Tue 07-Nov-17 20:58:02

Also an ex drama teacher

Wwoman30 Thu 09-Nov-17 08:27:16

Thank you all for your thoughts I will explore some of your comments and get back to you! To be honest I’d ratger have a total change ( typically picking the hardest option!! ) xx

2017RedBlue Thu 09-Nov-17 10:25:16

I'm sorry to hear that @Nasreen. I've seen you on these boards for a little while and just wanted to offer you lots of support and hugs and encouragement and say your turn will come. You will get there. Don't give up.

I'm not sure if you had a chance to practice the judgement tests but you can find some papers online that might help.

You can Google "practice judgement test" and lots of sites come up if you ever might need it again. Perhaps you already did this though..

Anyway, just wanted to wish you all the best. Your persistence will pay off in the end, I'm certain.

tissuesosoft Sat 11-Nov-17 07:58:26

Nasreen I'm sorry to hear that. I echo what 2017 has said about the practice tests, hopefully another vacancy will come up for you

tygr Sat 11-Nov-17 08:10:17

Training as a drama therapist? Running drama sessions for adults with mental health issues/ low self esteem etc?

Nasreen Mon 13-Nov-17 13:16:48

Thanks Redblue and tissue. I only saw the role advertised at the last minute, so the whole application was probably far too rushed. Next time, I will certainly take the time to practice some tests and really familiarise myself with the whole process.

Starting to think about retraining myself now, if only I knew what in! Is it true there is no funding for second degrees (or only in limited areas?). Does anyone know if bursaries for an areas still exist?

merlotplease Mon 13-Nov-17 13:35:03

Speech therapist or celebrant or registrar. That's what my husband looked into after acting didn't work out. Although finally ended up being a secondary English and drama teacher.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: