Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Long absence

(11 Posts)
DaisyRaine90 Wed 01-Nov-17 19:11:44

I really want to get a part time job in a gym, cafe or shop. I have lots of experience from years ago but most of the places have closed down since or I would struggle to get a reference, plus it’s been a long time. Also I have done a lot of self employed work.

I have been studying and had 2 children and am at University, as well as having to be on the sick for a while due to health reasons.

I really want to be working but not sure how to get my foot in the door.

I can work weekdays but not weekends. Any advice would be much appreciated. I am desperate to be back in the workplace ASAP.

Thanks 😊

C0untDucku1a Wed 01-Nov-17 19:12:31

Try a temping agency?

2014newme Wed 01-Nov-17 19:14:51

I think not being able to work weekends would be a problem. There are a zillion opportunities like this available now, particularly as it's xmas, but most want you to be available at their busiest times. Perhaps an office role would suit you better?
Have you got a cv?
Have you signed up to indeed or other job websites for daily alerts?
Try dropping your CV at all local gyms, cafes, shops. Blitz them.
Good luck

guest2013 Wed 01-Nov-17 19:15:02

Try volunteering first?

DaisyRaine90 Wed 01-Nov-17 19:41:46

I have volunteered previously but not for a while 😊

I am going to do some additional courses and things to improve my skills and pass my driving test so I can do delivery jobs.

DP works weekends so I really can’t do weekends unfortunately.

I will try a temp agency thanks 😊

VioletCharlotte Wed 01-Nov-17 19:50:32

What's the job market like where you live? I looked on Indeed recently for pt jobs for DS, there seem to be loads of vacancies here. I'm sure you'll be able to find something during the week easy enough, as students tend to want weekends.

Unihorn Wed 01-Nov-17 19:52:07

I work in hospitality and not working weekends will be a massive issue in many places. Long absences don't matter so much.

DaisyRaine90 Wed 01-Nov-17 19:53:05

I know I wish I could work weekends but it’s just not possible. Besides, one of us needs to be available to take the kids to activities and birthday parties etc.

Any good work from home Jobs that are unskilled? X

DaisyRaine90 Thu 02-Nov-17 10:00:36

Looking into temp agencies 😊 thanks for advice everyone x

2017RedBlue Thu 02-Nov-17 11:03:03

If you're at university, would you consider a different kind of job?

DaisyRaine90 Fri 03-Nov-17 15:03:55

Of course 😊 I am thinking of doing an admin course too and temping as a receptionist or admin in Surrey or London then going into something more academic once I graduate. Love being in the work place- getting hair and makeup done, ironing clothes, the feeling of being productive, the banter —not being puked on al day—

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now