Advanced search

Grasp the next rung of the career ladder

Find jobs that fit your skills and your home life with Mumsnet jobs

See all jobs »

Literally scared

(4 Posts)
Numberonecook Tue 31-Oct-17 10:16:13

I worked for years as a self employed childminder before going to university as a mature student. I got a first class science degree in a good subject.

Now I’m struggling to get a job. Most jobs are saying I don’t have enough experience, im over qualified (like literally want nvqs not a degree) or I don’t have a suitable employer reference. Further education are asking for science A Levels (which I don’t have as I was a mature student) and I can’t afford to pay for them. I’ve even applied for childcare related jobs as I have a level 3 but they are saying I’ve been out of work a while and there’s 100s of people applying with experience.

I have three kids. My oh is self employed. I have serious depression my anxiety is through the roof! I don’t know what the hell to do because I’m skint. I’ve even applied for cleaning, admin jobs but I live in a city with lots of unskilled workers who have done these jobs before so I’m not getting a look in. I don’t drive and have no money to learn.

What are people ment to do? Any tips?

2017RedBlue Tue 31-Oct-17 14:14:02

What is your degree in?

Numberonecook Wed 01-Nov-17 09:12:01

Food science

2017RedBlue Thu 02-Nov-17 11:06:28

And you're username is numberonecook.

Could you do something with food? Looks like you love cooking?

Have you tried to get a job in a related field to Food Science?

What happened?

mumsnet jobs

Jobs you might like

View all jobs »

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now