Talk

Advanced search

Need to find work but no clue how ...

(7 Posts)
JobNoExperience Mon 30-Oct-17 14:22:57

Name changed for this but a long term poster.
I have a professional role and am relatively senior and well paid.
But I need to leave.
It’s a long story but company politics.
Mid fifties.
Can’t afford to retire as still have young children.
Can’t keep working or I will crack.
Then I would be sacked anyway.
So
What job Can I do? And how?
I would be over qualified for anything in my current field.
But I need a change.
Something I can do at work but doesn’t follow me home.
I thought of teaching assistant or receptionist but everything needs experience.
I don’t know where to start.

And for anyone looking for a job and thinks I am crazy as already in one.
I really need to get off the hamster wheel.
Sounds selfish and self centred I know.

Nasreen Mon 30-Oct-17 17:52:18

Well speaking as one who is currently looking for a job, I do think you are slightly crazy for wanting to leave. However, I left the hamster wheel of teaching a decade ago and although I do occasional look back, I haven't yearned for my lack of work life balance!

Can you afford to volunteer in your newly chosen line of work? TA roles are highly competitive, so experience definitely is the way forward. If you have admin skills, then administrator work could be an option? If you are business minded and creative, what about self employment? Shop work? Catering? Health care assistant? I'm sure you have many transferable skills? Retraining?

QueenLetizia Mon 30-Oct-17 17:59:50

Leave only to go to another job, even if it's not paid as well. Don't leave with nothing to go to when you're in your fifties. I really struggled to find work when I was sacked earlier in the year. It took me about 7 months and I was looking very hard for most of that time.

Nasreen Mon 30-Oct-17 20:03:35

Yes I do echo what QueenLetzia has said. I am mid forties and really struggling to get a job if I am honest. It has been ten months for me and over two and a half years for my friend who is the same age!

ohwell02 Fri 03-Nov-17 11:08:31

My friend became a TA (secondary) and it was awful. The kids used to pull her hair and vomit over her! She said they expected you to work more hours/do extra duties for no extra pay and the pension is not worth it. This is what I was told the day before yesterday.
I used to work in a shop in between other better jobs and in those days they could not attract people in low-paid jobs (or they did not stay). Things are very different now. Many smaller/unskilled jobs are now taken by students . In fact employers openly advertise for them.
eg My neighbour advertised for a cleaner and got 25 replies
Do you drive? Even cleaning jobs want people to be able to drive.
Care work is an area where there are vacancies but the turnover is high due to it being hard work, unsocial hours. You can work in a residential setting but if you have a car you can go to peoples houses
helping them which may be the better option. If you go on Indeed site
you will reviews of some of the bigger agencies. Remember care today is business and profit driven so you need to check the terms and conds Do they pay for uniform and DBS?

2017RedBlue Fri 03-Nov-17 17:08:30

Either consultancy in your field or pay for some executive coaching?

Company politics can be very wearing but there are some amazing coaches out there that can change things for you and how you feel about a work situation.

Or yes consultancy. Have you looked a freelancing within your industry? Or side-step into something related.

What's your background?

elesha1995 Tue 14-Nov-17 16:26:08

I need to get back to work does anyone no any jobs that you get childcare vouchers and good pay job

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now