Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I'm frightened!

(5 Posts)
lizizdd Mon 23-Oct-17 21:39:04

I’m considering going back into nursing a job I loved but I was a psychiatric nurse and was seriously assaulted in 2010 when I left my job. Looking back, I worked all the hours God sent thinking I was doing the best for my family. At the time I had 4 children. But I dealt with the stresses of work and the assault negatively, probably drank too much. Forward to now. I don’t drink. Haven’t for about 6 years. I have another child. My little girl, my guardian angel. My two eldest daughters (now 21 and 19 are at uni) and no longer are at home. My two sons (16 and 14) and of course my 5 year old daughter are at home. My husband has never asked me to return to work, but I feel guilty because he works so hard for the minimum wage on a zero hours contract. So I feel I should go back. I have never worked as anything else and I doubt I’m clever enough to do anything else. I qualified in 1995 and would have to do a back to nursing course. But I’m scared of going back to it. I’m scared I’ve forgotten everything I ever knew. Any thoughts anyone?

MummaTwinkleToes Mon 23-Oct-17 21:50:04

Hi how much would your back to nursing course cost? Maybe do that and then do a few hours bank somewhere to see how you feel so you don't go straight into a substantive post and feel trapped if you don't enjoy it or if it brings back bad memories of the assault or if you find it hard around childcare.

GummyGoddess Mon 23-Oct-17 21:53:24

If you're a nurse then of course you're clever enough to do something else, nurses are not stupid! Would a different area of nursing be better for you, or bank work so it isn't so full on?

Caulk Mon 23-Oct-17 21:55:19

Others on the course will also have been out of work for a while and will have the same concerns about returning I imagine

lizizdd Mon 23-Oct-17 22:01:33

My course would be funded as far as I know (I’ve just started looking into it) as long as I worked for the NHS afterwards. I suppose I’ve just lost all confidence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now