Advanced search

Any private client solicitors out there?

(6 Posts)
Notalitigator Mon 23-Oct-17 10:10:18

I qualified a fair while ago in a litigation field. Initially I thrived on this but overtime I found it incredibly stressful to the point that I didn't return to work after my maternity leave.

I have now been a sahm for nearly 3 years and I am now keen to return to work given that dd will be starting nursery soon, and quiet frankly, I'm bored. However, I can't face returning to my old practice area. As I said it is too stressful and I also can't see how it can work with a toddler unless I have a nanny, which we couldn't afford (I am not in a position to command a high enough salary).

I much preferred the non-contentious elements of my practice area but it's not really possible to just specialise in these. For this reason I have been considering trying to convert to Private Client work (along with that I enjoyed this subject back in the dark ages of doing my degree) and have seen a few courses which, apparently, help with changing to this area. Are there any PC solicitors who can give me an idea as to whether these conversion courses are worthwhile/respected? I obviously don't want to fork out for a course if I will struggle to find work. I am perfectly happy to go back as a nq level in terms. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
Ohthatwilldo Wed 25-Oct-17 07:53:45

I think your best bet is to speak to some recruitment consultants. If you’re willing to take the pay cut and start in a newly qualified position, I don’t think you’ll need to do a course. Where are you based? I can recommend some decent agencies to speak to. I’m a commercial lawyer btw.

Jellybean85 Wed 25-Oct-17 08:00:03

As an alternative suggestion I work in the legal department for the local authority, we have a litigation team among other areas to work in. A lot of people have come here after having families, flexible hours and job security attract people, of course pay is less than private but I don’t think the gap is as big as you’d think

Notalitigator Wed 25-Oct-17 08:43:25

Thanks for your responses. I might contact some ra, my concern is that I never did a PC seat in my TC so have no practical experience whatsoever. Also having a bit of a confidence crisis having been away from the work place for a while.

I have considered local authorities etc, salary would probably be around what I earned before but not much is coming up in my practice area, plus I have lost all enthusiasm for that area.

OP’s posts: |
ringle Fri 27-Oct-17 22:11:29

I think you need to be careful about these courses.

Can you say anything more about your practice area? I am thinking the noncontentious area of your old practice is a more promising place to start.

Poosnu Sat 28-Oct-17 10:26:18

For private client solicitors, the recognised qualification is STEP. There are four modules, each involving a course then exam to achieve the qualification.

Most lawyers will do the exams while working in a private client department funded by the employer, but it may be possible to start the exams on your own demonstrating commitment to future employers.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in