Talk

Advanced search

Studying with toddler and pregnant

(12 Posts)
Beansprout30 Sat 21-Oct-17 14:06:41

I'm 5 weeks pregnant and very unhappy in my current job, it's pretty dead end and I feel I've been treated unfairly since returning from first maternity leave.

I've decided I need to retrain otherwise my situation will never change and I'm thinking of doing AAT courses. Just wondering how realistic this is with a toddler and being pregnant? I could have a few hours in the evenings each week and time at weekends.

My family are not particularly supportive and encouraging which has always held me back, I feel if I don't do it now I never will. I'm 34, please can I hear some encouraging experiences?

wowbutter Sat 21-Oct-17 14:11:26

I'm doing a masters degree, pregnant, have a toddler and working... yes it's hard. But it's what I want to do.
What would be the worse case scenario? You do the course and fail it? So, no worse off than current.

Beansprout30 Sat 21-Oct-17 14:16:52

The worst thing for me is parting with a lot of money for potentially no gain, however I really hope it will improve my job prospects. What are you studying @wow?

Chosenbyyou Sat 21-Oct-17 19:47:48

Hi,

I am doing the MBA, was working almost full time (2 hours less) in a corporate role and have a toddler and was pregnant. I am now on maternity leave with a six month old and am about to finish it and will go back to work in a few months.

Seriously anything is possible! Only You know if you will do it. Why are your family not supportive? Did you have a straight forward pregnancy?

Are you able to take a break when your baby is born? I have taken a break of 1yr when my first was born and 6m with my second.

I have found it very stressful at times but I am fairly good at self motivation and don't faf about - I try to be as efficient as possible and don't ponder over my essays for hours, I write them and get on with it!

You don't want to set yourself up to fail so are you someone who normally finishes things and delivers to deadlines? If you are not then I would wait til your children are slightly older and put your 100% into it then. Hope that is helpful I have tried to be helpful! X

RosyPony Sat 21-Oct-17 19:55:30

Totally doable! I'm studying my AAT Level 4 with a toddler and whilst pregnant. I'll need to finish it off after the baby arrives and yes it has been hard work at times but I've enjoyed it. I have though done it one day a week at college as I'm far too lazy for self study.

Beansprout30 Sat 21-Oct-17 21:56:54

Thank you that's just what i need to hear. I think my family just don't see the bigger picture, they always tend to want to remain 'safe' which is ridiculous because I'm in such a dead end job!

I am determined to do this, if I'm paying to study I will most definitely aim to complete it, unfortunately I'm unable to do it at college so will need to be evenings when my dd is in bed. Very straight forward pregnancy first time round so hoping for the same second time.

Hestur Tue 31-Oct-17 17:02:41

Hi I just saw this thread, I say go for it and don't let anyone put you off! I just started intense study towards a qualification and future job and have a 3 month old. So far I am managing. It's hard, and perhaps I won't get the top grades I would have done if I was a free agent. But who knows, it's working out so far and several people thought I was crazy to start. Good luck!

swashbucklecheer Tue 31-Oct-17 17:09:52

I completed my masters while pregnant and I remember typing my final submission with my new ds sleeping in the Moses basket beside me. It is doable. Good luck!

Beansprout30 Fri 03-Nov-17 20:02:40

Thanks everyone Ive enrolled in my course just hope I'm clever enough to complete it

Beansprout30 Fri 03-Nov-17 20:03:23

Thanks everyone Ive enrolled in my course just hope I'm clever enough to complete it

Chosenbyyou Sat 04-Nov-17 08:28:04

That is fab! I'm sure you are clever enough, just need to be organised!

I'm just about to go back to work and start my course again!

It will all be worth it in the end xx

Beansprout30 Sat 04-Nov-17 20:47:54

Thank you @chosen, I'm feeling really positive it's given me something to focus on as my current job was seriously getting me down, best of luck with your studies and back to work x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now