Talk

Advanced search

HELPPPPP..!Scared to take a step

(7 Posts)
theirmum1234 Wed 18-Oct-17 08:06:04

Hi all just looking for some realistic advice,
I'm mum to 4 dc ages (17, 8, 6 ,9mths) and although I love being home with them I'm really in need of something more.
I've always been good with children but always dodged a career in teaching saying "no it's not for me!" However I've always worked in education and with children and young people jobs include course advice at a FE college, after school club assistant, learning support assistant with SEN and behavioural and or social/emotional needs. My degree (2:2) is in education with psychology and I have recently completed a diploma in therapeutic counselling.
So now that I'm coming to the end of my maternity I'm thinking of taking on board teacher training😳

However horror stories of no work life balance, burn out, horrendous work schedules, and worst of all no time for your own children is making me second guess my ability to do this.

Any advice from real teachers who have gone through the process but also those who are mum's would be great 👍🏾

AJPTaylor Wed 18-Oct-17 08:11:49

honestly? i wouldnt. apart from the fact you can be physically present during holidays it is not a family friendly job

theirmum1234 Wed 18-Oct-17 08:25:20

Thanks AJP, any reasons why it's not family friendly?

2017RedBlue Wed 18-Oct-17 10:38:32

There was a massive long thread about training to be a teacher in this Back To Work section.

I'd scroll back through the pages as there was general huge negativity towards the OP who asked the same question. She also had 4 children I think if my mind remembers correctly.

The overwhelming consensus was no.

It's not family friend in the least bit at all and just as a starting point 40% of NQT leave within the first year. www.theguardian.com/education/2015/mar/31/four-in-10-new-teachers-quit-within-a-year

Be very careful.

JenniferYellowHat1980 Wed 18-Oct-17 22:30:26

It’s not family friendly because you’ll need to be out of the door by 7:30, Home no earlier than 5:30, you’ll be working for two hours each evening and at least half a day at weekends just to do a passable job. You will need to commit a good 20% of your holidays on top of that, PD days are an additional five days and you can’t ever attend daytime events at school.

It really is not family friendly.

Caulk Wed 18-Oct-17 22:35:36

I wouldn’t. In fact, I trained as a teacher but never did my NQT year because I saw what it was like during my training. That was 5 years ago and it’s so much worse now. I would not recommend.

AJPTaylor Wed 18-Oct-17 23:02:28

sorry, literally this has just come back up.
its not family friendly, for the following reasons
sick children, far more difficult than in bog standard job. who covers? how do you catch up missed time?
incept days. 5 a year. you have to be in school. your kids arent. no childcare.
long long hours.
cant attend any of your dc events ever. so you will miss nativity and assemblies and sports day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now