Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

bad idea to become a hair dresser? yay or nay?

(3 Posts)
Rollforneed Mon 16-Oct-17 19:46:22

Does anyone have any feedback on becoming a hairdresser? I am getting very frustrated with trying to find work after being out for so long (13 years due to moving for XH career and having to sometimes home school SN DS). I have the same old problem of many others, really old references, volunteer work that doesn't really apply...

I have often thought of hairdressing as maybe I could set my own hours and I have good hand/eye skills. Does anyone have experience with this or what it's like going to one the 'schools' where they teach you for a couple months? I don't see many people working as hairdressers at my age (40s) in my area unless they're new immigrants which says to me it's not a good long term career.

TheQueenOfWands Mon 16-Oct-17 19:51:02

My mate's not long finished a similar course. Hair, !makeup, nails, etc.

She loved doing it.

I'm also scared of hairdressers (thanks to a childhood hairdresser called Maureen who used to comb my ears) but because she's so chilled she's now cut my hair a grand total of three times, before that it was about 20 years between haircuts.

I think there's a market for 'quiet' hairdressers/manicurists. They just do their business without asking you a million questions about your job/children.

My mate plays soothing music and STFU. The world needs more of her.

Rollforneed Mon 16-Oct-17 20:10:50

queen There probably is a small market for people who hate getting their hair cut. I am one of them and actually cut my own hair into a mid length bob a few times. It turned out okay. ( I couldn't do the highlights though....so back to the hairdresser..lol)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now