Advanced search

Retraining as a Family Support Worker

(6 Posts)
thisgirlrides Sun 15-Oct-17 23:34:37

I'm currently a childminder but looking for a change of direction in the next 2-3 years once my youngest leaves primary school. I'd like to continue working with young people and whilst I'd live to retrain as a Social Worker, I haven't the time or money for a full degree. I'm particularly interested in some sort of counselling/advisory role and the idea of working not just with children but families too really appeals.
I volunteer at my local Children's centre so have been in contact with FSW's and am increasingly confident that this is the area I'd like to work within.

As I've got a bit of time (both free time & until I'd like to start) I'm able to undertake training now around my current role but unclear what would be the best route. An NVQ in childcare seems an obvious fit with my current role, but is this enough? I'd need to look into widening my experience by way of voluntary work, but again, not sure what would be best.
Any FSW's out there who can advise on best route in and give me the low-down in the job?

Beansprout30 Sat 21-Oct-17 07:27:02

Following if that's ok as was also considering this

Queenofthedrivensnow Sat 21-Oct-17 07:52:07

Ask the fsw at your children’s centre what their quals are. Also my local authority offer on the job social work conversions to fsw and other staff so you might be able to get to sw level after all.

Good luck. I’m a sw and the fsw I work with are amazing I couldn’t be without them!

TheDrsDocMartens Sat 21-Oct-17 08:03:26

I had to do an NVQ 4 working with children and young people when I was a FSW.
Most of my families were teens or domestic violence so these would probably be useful areas to focus on,

chocolatespiders Sat 21-Oct-17 08:09:28

I am also interested in this job after 29 years community based in the NHS. I have recently taken up a relief role in a children's contact centre to get some experience.
Not sure on training though. Could you speak to a socoal worker?

MindTalks Sat 21-Oct-17 15:30:20

Hi smile

This is an area of interest of mine too, I’m hoping to study a foundation degree in Early Childhood Studies. As my local uni has a topic which focuses on family/ parent support and additional needs, which is the area of support I would like to mostly give. Every job I’ve seen recently has different requirements, some want a level 3 NVQ with lots of support experience, others wants NVQ (or equivalent) up to level 5.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: