Inspire me! What should I do for work? Working with kids maybe...

(10 Posts)
somewheregreener Fri 06-Oct-17 12:31:55

I am about to go back to work after being a sahm.

It has been quite a while since I last worked properly... had the kids and in between did a bit of freelance work for friend's business (admin type. Boring but extremely flexible and money better than no money!).

I did an education studies degree (not a qualified teacher), but since then haven't worked with kids. In between I was a PR for beauty brands. I don't want to go back to that again, I sort of hated it towards the end, I'd like to train to somehow work with younger children (4-7) but don't think I have the time (yet) to do a full PGCE or even a teacher-training-on-the-job post.

Can anyone recommend any job i could train up for??? Something that would be a couple of days a week. Totally up for training to get there, just don't have a full-on year of commitment to give just yet.

Would love any advice!

OP’s posts: |
somewheregreener Fri 06-Oct-17 12:51:34


OP’s posts: |
RebelRogue Fri 06-Oct-17 12:53:46

Enquire about TA jobs maybe?

MessyBun247 Fri 06-Oct-17 12:54:21


somewheregreener Fri 06-Oct-17 12:58:31

TA job is interesting! Do you need an official qualification for that?

Not sure what I'd tutor in, also looking to get out the house and work with people again - more than one child anyway.

Does anyone know much about how to get into something like forest school etc?

OP’s posts: |
RebelRogue Fri 06-Oct-17 17:30:54

@somewheregreener at our school is the school staff that do it.
Look into volunteering in a classroom first maybe.
Also look at the schools in your area and what requirements they have for TA's. Some might require qualifications,some might not.

Somewheregreener Fri 06-Oct-17 18:27:04

Thanks rebel!

I wonder if anyone can tell me all the different “drop in” type people work at their schools? Maybe I can be inspired to train up... even things like kids yoga teachers!

RebelRogue Fri 06-Oct-17 18:54:38

As a volunteer: reading to the kids,helping in the class as an extra adult .

At my school all clubs/activities are ran by staff.
At DD's school the clubs are ran by people with "credentials ". As in they were an established teacher,business,activity.

Depending on where you live you can try and see if there is a teachin*insert county* website.
Sometimes even being a lunchtime assistant can progress into a job as a TA.

It all depends on what you want to do, what you can do,and how much money you want to make. Education does not pay well.

SparklingBollox Fri 06-Oct-17 18:58:11

An education studies degree would be an acceptable qualification with most schools I think.
Might be worth doing a bit of volunteering to get some experience and see if it is your sort of thing.

Tumbleweed101 Wed 11-Oct-17 17:49:48

Think level 3 forest school qualifications are about £800 ish but you'd have the option of setting up your own in future, working freelance or working in an established place if you did it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in