Talk

Advanced search

Online courses?

(19 Posts)
Marnie182 Wed 04-Oct-17 21:36:27

Hi

I am looking to do a Microsoft office course online. Has anyone done this and can you recommend a good course provider?

I've been googling and googling, there are so many my head hurts confused

Preferably with a recognised qualification at the end.

Really hoping somebody can help!

Thanks for reading smile

Marnie182 Thu 05-Oct-17 11:37:38

Anyone?

LIZS Thu 05-Oct-17 11:39:54

ECDL is a recognised qualification. Some FE colleges will offer it on a drop in basis.

Southlondonmum76 Thu 05-Oct-17 16:27:11

Hi Marnie
Have a look at Pitmans Training.
They've just contacted me today about a course I was interested a few months ago but wasn't able to do at the time. And now they do it online, which is great for me.
I did Microsoft Office with Pitmans a few years ago in their training centre, they may do it online now.
Good luck smile

Marnie182 Fri 06-Oct-17 12:50:16

Thank you LIZS the ECDL looks promising smile

Thank you South. I've been wondering whether or not to go with pitmans. They quoted me a price for their office IT diploma last week which has got Microsoft office in it. I know it's CPD accredited which is recognised, but I'm nervous to take the plunge. Reassuring to hear you have had a good experience with them.
Can I ask if the course you did with them a few years ago helped you get a job? If you weren't already employed. smile

IHopeYourCakeIsShit Fri 06-Oct-17 13:03:16

Could I ask how much the Pitman's course is?
I have been looking at some kind of qualification but wouldn't know where to start and am limited with funds.

Marnie182 Fri 06-Oct-17 13:32:03

Hi
The pitmans office IT diploma is £1374, which you can pay over 12 months interest free. So not cheap which is why I want to be sure about it before spending £££. It's seems like a great course though.
I looked up ecdl and mos training too, which you can do via distant learning and they're a lot cheaper. Which has just added to my confusion, why are they so much cheaper? confused
It could be because the pitmans office IT diploma also includes typaz and business communication plus an elective course of your choice.
I think I've looked to much into everything and now I'm over thinking.

2017RedBlue Fri 06-Oct-17 14:55:26

Have you tried Groupon?

www.groupon.co.uk/deals/excel-with-business-2781

Marnie - what do you want it for? What sort of job do you want to get at the end of it?

Marnie182 Fri 06-Oct-17 15:36:01

I didn't think of Groupon, thanks!
Ideally I want to do school secretary/admin, I am looking for Microsoft office skills I can put on my cv. Once I've done that I can do temping, then hopefully be able to get a permanent job in a school.

Holliewantstobehot Fri 06-Oct-17 15:41:21

I did my ECDL at our local college. You worked at your own pace and did the online exams as soon as you were ready. It was one two hour session a week. As I was on a low income I got the course half price and a charity paid for childcare for my dd. So it may be cheaper to do it that way if you have the time.

Marnie182 Fri 06-Oct-17 16:10:14

Thanks Hollie, I will give my local college a ring on Monday. Probably should have done that first blush
I just think distance learning may be a better option for me, unless they do an evening class once a week. That could work.

Holliewantstobehot Fri 06-Oct-17 19:03:04

Yes I think my college did an evening class but I worked evenings at the time so day time was better for me. I think to get the fee reduction I had to show I received tax credits but I can't remember now for sure.

calamityjam Fri 06-Oct-17 20:06:41

The Manchester college do distance learning, not sure which courses or prices, but its worth checking out

Marnie182 Fri 06-Oct-17 22:32:15

I won't be entitled to any reduction, but will definitely ring them on Monday to see if they do evening classes. smile

Thanks calam I will have a Google. smile

Southlondonmum76 Sat 07-Oct-17 08:44:37

Hi Marnie
When I did the Pitmans course, I was a nurse. Basically was looking to update my skills and then I came out of nursing for a year and joined agencies and did some temp work as an administrator.
I returned to community nursing and found the skills really useful. Especially when typing up my own letters and reports. The touch typing and developing my wpm really helped.
Now as I'm on maternity leave, won't be going back into nursing but looking to retrain as a medical secretary.
Some pitman courses you can do online now, only found this out the other day. This is really handy for me. I can fit around the LO especially at night time when I always seem to be wide awake after feeds.

IHopeYourCakeIsShit Sat 07-Oct-17 13:30:21

Thanks Marnie,
I had a look at an ECDL course near me but it doesn't start until Easter so online will have to be the way forward for me.
Can't make head nor tail of which company/option to go for though
confused

Marnie182 Sat 07-Oct-17 21:10:36

Thanks south
I will be going with pitmans as I think their course sounds really good and great you got into admin from it, I'm going to do ECDL course first though as I think it will be a good place to start.
Good luck with your medical secretary course and enjoy your maternary leave. Thank you again for your help smile

Ihope
what a shame, I've googled my local college and they do, do ECDL course, but don't say what time they run or when. So I will be ringing them on Monday.
If I can't do it due to the time of the course, ECDLuk looks like a good place to do it online, so I'll be getting in touch with them. You should have a look.

IHopeYourCakeIsShit Sun 08-Oct-17 16:12:40

Thanks Marnie smile

Southlondonmum76 Sun 08-Oct-17 17:28:32

Thank you Marnie,
All the best with your courses. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now