Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Studying nursing with two young children

(3 Posts)
Kismet9 Tue 03-Oct-17 13:17:20

Hello,

Are there any mums out there who have studied the 2 year pgdip in nursing whilst also having young children?

I am thinking of applying to study adult nursing at a London university, with a view to starting the course when my youngest son is around 2 and a half and my eldest is 5.

My partner works full time in a managerial role and we don't have any family help with childcare so will be relying on a childminder.

I am really after some feedback from other mums who have done the course. Was it manageable with children? What was the time/shift commitment?

I really want to do the course - preferably soon as I am getting on a bit now (nearly 40)!

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

X

cupcakesmakeyouhappy Wed 11-Oct-17 14:05:08

Kismet9 Hi smile
South Wales (unsure about England) 6 weeks in uni and 6 weeks on placement. Shifts range from early 6.40 - 2.30 and late 1.40 - 9.30 long day 7 - 7.30 then nights 9.10 - 7 but some wards 7 - 7.30.
If you have supportive husband (emotionally) good chidminder then Im sure you will be fine.
Placements are understanding of childcare issues. You are not counted in the numbers so as long as you get those hours done. Any issues your uni will support you. They want you to succeed.
Good luck!

Bonelessbanquet Wed 11-Oct-17 14:08:34

Our shifts are :
long day 07:30 - 20:30
Early. 07:30- 15:30
Late. 12:30 - 20:30
Night. 20:00 - 0800

Placements can be flexible but in our trust you have to have some many shifts with your mentor and follow their pattern if that makes sense, not sure if that's just us though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now