Talk

Advanced search

Moving away from reception?

(6 Posts)
HappyAxolotl Sun 01-Oct-17 15:41:35

I'm interested in finding out how to make an upward move - if any of you have done it, how did you do it? If you are a manager who promotes receptionists, what is it you are looking for?

A very long story cut shortish is: 8 years of PA/secretarial work on temp contracts during the credit crunch years, took on a perm reception role as the temp contracts were drying up and I needed perm work on my CV, 3 years later lost that job due to ill health (now resolved). Now I am in temp work again and my CV is getting attention on LinkedIn and Indeed, but every time I get a call it is always for another receptionist job.

I'd be willing to take one of those jobs to get a foot in the door and work my way up, but that didn't work in my last perm job. My predecessors had to leave the company to get off the welcome desk (and the ones I know about are doing pretty well for themselves now). Despite PA/TS jobs coming up regularly, we weren't even considered for them.

What is the way forward? Are there any qualifications or anything else to add to my CV to be considered for the jobs I'm capable of and have years of experience in doing? Or have I ruined my own chances for good?

zippydoodaar Sun 01-Oct-17 17:11:59

You might be better off getting a temp or contract role as a PA or Admin. What's the job situation like now?

HappyAxolotl Mon 02-Oct-17 00:53:14

That's a good idea Zippy. I'll put out some feelers to find out. The permanent jobs market seems good at the moment, I'm seeing loads of these jobs advertised. (However every time I apply I get a call from the relevant agency telling me all about a front desk job instead!) I know they say temping can be a way in or at least get a better job title on the CV so it is worth exploring.

MyPatronusIsAUnicorn Mon 02-Oct-17 18:41:38

I work in an admin role, new job. When I asked at interview if there was the chance of progression upwards, they said definitely. The person who looks after me started where I am and she is management now, all still in admin. It's NHS.

HappyAxolotl Sun 08-Oct-17 22:39:47

That's excellent Patronus! I've heard the NHS does offer progression, it's just getting in there the first place.But now I do have some private healthcare experience on my CV so it could be relevant.

I've had a bit of good news as I was chatting to my housemate about all this and it turns out his pal is a recruiter. He has told her about my situation and she has said she will look over my CV and see if she can advise on what my next step should be.

I haven't been able to talk to my recruiter at my current agency due to her schedule and mine last week but she has me down for a chat this week. So we'll see what comes from that.

MyPatronusIsAUnicorn Mon 09-Oct-17 19:41:52

Yes the NHS can be very difficult to get into, I tried years ago and couldn't manage it as positions tend to go internally a lot and I've been told that I'm now at an advantage being an internal candidate. But your experience could really help you.

Fingers crossed for this recruiter for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now