Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Job offer and salary

(7 Posts)
underpaiid Wed 20-Sep-17 16:47:50

I've just been offered a job (yay me wink) but the advertised salary range is £xx to £yy and they have yet to specify what they are offering.

£xx is too low I would be worse off. £yy is a bit less than on now but with shorter commute meaning less petrol and hours more flexible meaning no breakfast clubs for ds it works out the same.

My question is do they always offer the lower end of salary range? And if they do can I haggle? My current job has no scale neither have my previous two.

eightytwenty Wed 20-Sep-17 16:52:32

I recently negotiated a 50% pay rise. I explained that my salary has stagnated because I hadn't changed employer for a while. And I talked up the benefits and bonus I had with my existing company. It's ok to say 'here's my salary expectation' demonstrating the value and skills you'd bring to the company.

underpaiid Wed 20-Sep-17 17:58:02

Thanks for the response. Can I ask if that was public or private sector?

notonmynelly Wed 20-Sep-17 22:13:10

I've just accepted a job in the NHS with a pay bracket. They have offered the lower rate with a look to increase to the higher rate after a year.

RedastheRose Wed 20-Sep-17 22:22:03

Public sector tend to offer the lower end of the scale. You then have to work your way up, however, if they really want you for the role you can tell personnel that you would need to receive salary at £yy to enable you to accept the position. Give them your current salary and explain rationale for saying so as per your post. They should take it on board and if not you turn the role down. Best to do this at this stage rather than waiting for them to tell you what starting salary is as that means they have to go back on what they've said.

underpaiid Sun 24-Sep-17 17:57:49

I'm still waiting for the sodding letter! What to do.

elessar Sun 24-Sep-17 18:06:35

I'd just go back to them and say can they let you know what salary they are offering the job at as you're really keen but it needs to be the top end of the range for you to be able to accept.

If they want you they'll pay it.

I recruit people often and generally if there's someone we want for a role then I'm happy to pay the top end of the range if that's what it takes to secure them. It's very rare we would risk losing someone good over a few grand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now